Fast-growing treat for cats.
Sun The amount of sunlight this product needs daily in order to perform well in the garden. Full sun means 6 hours of direct sun per day; partial sun means 2-4 hours of direct sun per day; shade means little or no direct sun.
Full Sun, Part Sun
Days To Maturity The average number of days from when the plant is actively growing in the garden to the expected time of harvest.
Life Cycle This refers to whether a plant is an annual, biennial or perennial. Annuals complete their life cycles in one year; biennials produce foliage the first year and bloom and go to seed the second year; perennials can live for more than two years.
Height The typical height of this product at maturity.
Spread The width of the plant at maturity.
Additional Uses Additional ways in which the product may be used in the garden.
Plant Shipping Information
Plants begin shipping week of:
May 13, 2019Click here for Spring shipping schedule
Item 13780 cannot ship to: AA, AE, AK, AP, AS, CN, FM, GU, HI, MH, MP, PR, PW, VI
See all Burpee plant shipping restrictions for your state
Sowing Seed Indoors:
- To grow as a houseplant, sow indoors at any time.
- Sow seeds ¼ inch deep in seed starting formula in the container where the plants will grow.
- Keep the soil moist at 70 degrees F
- Seedlings emerge in 7-14 days
- As soon as seedlings emerge, provide plenty of light on a sunny windowsill or grow seedlings 3-4 inches beneath fluorescent plant lights turned on 16 hours per day, off for 8 hours at night. Raise the lights as the plants grow taller. Incandescent bulbs will not work for this process because they will get too hot. Most plants require a dark period to grow, do not leave lights on for 24 hours.
Sowing Directly in the Garden:
- Sow outdoors in spring after all danger of frost has passed in average soil in full sun.
- Remove weeds and work organic matter into the top 6-8 inches of soil; then level and smooth.
- Sow seeds ¼ inch deep in rows 1 inch apart.
- Firm lightly and keep evenly moist.
- Seedlings emerge 7-14 days.
- Keep weeds under control during the growing season. Weeds compete with plants for water, space and nutrients, so control them by either cultivating often or use a mulch to prevent their seeds from germinating.
- For best results, water just as soil surface dries.
- Re-sow often to maintain months of vibrant grass.
- Trim back to 1 inch every second week to promote fresh growth.
- Cat grass usually re-grows quickly several times after being nibbled.
- Monitor for pests and diseases. Check with your local Cooperative Extension Service for pest controls recommended for your area.
Harvesting and Preserving Tips:
- Pets may graze plants at will.
- People can make smoothies with young green leaves cut at 1 inch from the ground as needed.