W. Atlee Burpee & Co. is the leading retail/mail order distributor of seed and gardening supplies to the American home gardener. We have an immediate opening for an Assistant Grower at our Willow Hill facility located in Fannettsburg, PA.
• Strong desire to grow plants and work in greenhouse environment
• Ability to work independently
• Effective communication skills
• Knowledge of greenhouse equipment
• Detail oriented personality
• Team player
• Develops and utilizes a weekly written pre-plan for what needs to be done for the next •Detail oriented personality
• Inspects greenhouses and can identify moisture requirements, status of the plants and possible problems/issues
• Scout for insects and disease and apply appropriate controlst
• Degree in horticulture, floriculture or related degree or a minimum of two years commercial growing experience.
• Stand and walk for long periods of time
• PA Pesticide License required within six months
• Carry/Lift items up to 50 pounds
• Rotating weekends - every other weekend in spring, about a 6-week rotation the rest of the year
• Proof of Auto Insurance
• Able to work alone and as part of a team
• Working on your feet, 20-30% office work
• Reliable transportation and able to work in bad weather
If you meet the requirements and qualifications, please email your cover letter with salary requirements, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org - Subject line “Assistant Grower – Job Code 2015-4” or log onto our website at www.burpee.com and click on “employment link”. COVER LETTERS/RESUMES WITHOUT REQUESTED INFORMATION WILL BE CONSIDERED LAST. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Un-qualified candidates need not apply. Equal Opportunity Employer.