2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots finely minced
2 tbsp. garlic minced
8 sprigs of fresh thyme
4 tbsp. butter
2 leeks finely chopped
16 oz. wild mushrooms chopped
1 oz. dried morel mushrooms
1 oz. dried chanterelle mushrooms
4 oz baby bell mushrooms
¼ lbs. prosciutto
2 cups wild rice
4 cups warm water
8 cups beef stock
1 pint heavy cream
½ of a ½ gallon of milk
2 cups of potato buds
1. In a bowl, reconstitute dried mushrooms with warm water. Let soak for 30 minutes.
2. Remove mushrooms, and strain liquid. Set aside liquid for later.
3. Finely chop the morel and chanterelle mushrooms.
4. Cook wild rice according to manufacturer’s directions.
5. Finely dice prosciutto.
6. Fry prosciutto in a pan.
7. Heat oil and butter in a large stockpot. Add leeks, shallots, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes.
8. Chop rest of the mushrooms and add to the pan. Stir over medium heat until soft.
9. Add beef stock and bring to a boil.
10. Add the liquid from reconstituted mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
11. Take ¾ of soup and pour into a blender and blend until smooth.
12. Return soup to stockpot and stir in heavy cream and wild rice. Simmer for another 10 minutes.