Trellis & Fence Garden
Adds color and elegance to outdoor structures.
Sun The amount of sunlight this product needs daily in order to perform well in the garden. Full sun means 6 hours of direct sun per day; partial sun means 2-4 hours of direct sun per day; shade means little or no direct sun.
Height The typical height of this product at maturity.
Spread The width of the plant at maturity.
Ornamental Use Ways in which the product may be used in the garden for ornamental effect.
Life Cycle This refers to whether a plant is an annual, biennial or perennial. Annuals complete their life cycles in one year; biennials produce foliage the first year and bloom and go to seed the second year; perennials can live for more than two years.
Sow Method This refers to whether the seed should be sown early indoors and the seedlings transplanted outside later, or if the seed should be sown directly in the garden at the recommended planting time.
How to Sow
Sowing Directly in the Garden:
- Moonflower seed has a hard seed coat. To aid germination, nick or cut the seed coat with a nail file and soak the seed overnight.
- Direct sow seeds in average soil in full sun two weeks after danger of frost has passed. Moonflower is a vigorous vine; choose a location next to a support for the vines to climb.
- Moonflower is not generally recommended for containers.
- Prepare the soil by removing weeds and working organic matter into the top 6-8 inches of soil; then level and smooth. Moonflower tends to prefer poor soils rather than highly enriched soil.
- Sow seeds thinly and cover with 1/2 inch of soil.
- Firm soil lightly and keep evenly moist.
- Seedlings will emerge in 7-14 days.
- Keep soil evenly moist but not wet.
- Thin to stand 12 inches apart when plants are 1 to 2 inches high.
- Do not fertilize unless the plants are showing a nutrient deficiently. Over fertilizing may produce lush green vines with few flowers.
- Monitor for pests and diseases. Check with your local Cooperative Extension Service for pest controls recommended for your area.
- Remove plants after they are killed by heavy frost in fall to avoid disease issues the following year.
- Moonflower vines need little care and are easy to grow.
- Plants can self-sow so allow some to set seeds at the end of the season if you would like it to come back next year. If you would like to prevent self-sowing, remove seed pods before the seeds are released.
- When night falls flowers open quickly, sometimes in less than a minute. Excellent plant for a patio where you may enjoy the summer evening outdoors.