Dessert fit for a garden party! Colorful edible pansies turn simple sugar cookies into an elegant treat. Recipe makes about two dozen cookies.
1 stick softened unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar + extra for sprinkling on top
2 eggs (1 for dough, 1 for egg wash with whites only)
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
Pansies for decoration
- Cream together softened unsalted butter and granulated sugar in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add 1 beaten egg and vanilla or almond extract; mix well.
- Add all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder; mix until combined.
- Press dough into two balls so they come together, then flatten into disks and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out to ¼-inch thickness and cut out circles with a cookie cutter. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Brush with whisked egg white wash and lightly press a pansy in the center. Brush on top with more egg wash and sprinkle with a little sugar. Repeat with remaining dough and cookies.
- Bake until very light golden, 8-12 minutes. Let cool 1-2 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.