1c roughly chopped shallots (or sweet onion), divided
2-4 TBLSP. Olive oil
10 oz. roughly chopped mushrooms
5 c. loosely packed tender greens (e.g. spinach, broccoli raab)
4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar
1 ½ cup cooked barley (add a bit of extra water to cook until soft)
1. Cook barley in a bit more water than is called for to make sure it is soft. Add cheese to
hot mixture, mix well and allow to cool until just warm.
2. While the barley is cooking, sauté the shallots in a small amount of olive oil and divide,
leaving 1/2 in the pan. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until water has evaporated
leaving the mixture on the dry side. Remove to a plate.
3. Add back the remaining shallots, and add the spinach (or other leafy vegetable)to pan. Cook
briefly to just wilt. (Leave a few uncooked leaves to decorate the edge of the plate.)
4. Mound semi-cooled barley/cheese mixture onto a serving platter, form a hollow center
5. Fill center with spinach mixture. Place raw leaves around outer edge, mound mushroom mixture
along the edge on top of the leaves, "framing" the ring.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.