Tomato Oregano Bread
- Dissolve 1/4 oz active dry yeast in 1 1/2 cups warm water; let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup each all-purpose and whole wheat flour.
- Cover with damp towel and let stand 30 minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp each olive oil, parsley and oregano, 1 tbsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Work in blend of 3 cups all-purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour.
- Knead dough about 10 minutes, place in lightly oiled bowl, cover with damp cloth, and let rise 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough, form into 2 loaves and place on oiled and cornmeal dusted pan; let stand 30 minutes.
- Bake 45 minutes in a preheated 400°F oven.
-Ellen Ecker Ogden, author of From the Cook's Garden cookbook