Sun Dried Tomatoes and Basil
- Slice tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds and meat from the seed cavity.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and place cut side down to drain for an hour.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled baking tray and bake in a slow oven set at 150°.
- Let the tomatoes dry until they have a leathery texture, at least 8 hours and up to 16 hours.
- About halfway through baking, turn them over.
- Do not rush the baking by increasing the oven temperature, or the tomatoes may burn.
-Ellen Ecker Ogden, author of From the Cook's Garden cookbook