Salad Greens, Dandelion
Flavorful dandelion from Italy adds a distinctive note to salads.
Days To Maturity
Direct Sow/Indoor Sow
2-4 weeks BLF
How to Sow
- For optimum flavor, grow in cool weather.
- Sow in rich soil early in spring when the ground can be worked.
- Sow in rows 6-8 inches apart. Seeds can be broadcast thinly along rows or wide bands. Sow ¼ inch deep. Firm lightly and keep soil evenly moist.
- Seedlings emerge in 10-14 days depending on soil and weather conditions.
- For continuous crops, resow every other week until the weather gets too warm.
- In hot weather, provide shade to slow bolting.
- For a mature harvest, thin to stand to 6 inches apart when 1-2 inches high. If growing as a baby leaf, do not thin.
How to Grow
- Keep weeds under control during the growing season. Weeds compete with plants for water, space and nutrients, so control them by either cultivating often or use a mulch to prevent their seeds from germinating. Avoid disturbing the soil around the plants when weeding.
- Keep plants well watered during dry periods to promote rapid, uninterrupted growth. Plants need about 1 inch of rain per week during the growing season. Use a rain gauge to check to see if you need to add water. It’s best to water with a drip or trickle system that delivers water at low pressure at the soil level. If you water with overhead sprinklers, water early in the day so the foliage has time to dry off before evening, to minimize disease problems. Keep the soil moist but not saturated.
- Monitor for pests and diseases. Check with your local Cooperative Extension Service for pest controls recommended for your area.
Harvest and Preserving Tips
- Quick and easy to harvest.
- Most can be cut in 30-55 days. Radicchios take up to 90 days to harvest.
- Harvest baby leaves when 4-6 inches long.
- Fresh salad greens can be cut at your own leisure, shortly before preparing salads.
- Great for salads! Pick and choose leaves to combine colors, crispness and flavors from different varieties.
- Cut when leaves are crisp, in the cool morning. Avoid harvest during times of intense heat.
- Refrigerate the harvest to preserve until used.
Days To Maturity92 daysSunFull SunSpread12-18 inchesHeight12-18 inchesSow MethodDirect Sow/Indoor SowPlanting TimeFall, SpringSow Time2-4 weeks BLFThin12 inchesLife CycleAnnual