Parsnip, Hollow Crown
HEIRLOOM. Mild, white flesh is fine-grained.
Days To Maturity
2-4 weeks BLF
How to Sow
- Sow seeds in deep, well-worked soil in full sun after frost in spring.
- In frost free areas, sow in fall.
- Straight roots require soil that is light, loosened deeply, and free of stones.
- Consider using a soil amendment light sand if soil is heavy.
- Sow thinly in rows 12 inches apart and cover with ½ inch of fine soil.
- Firm lightly and keep evenly moist.
- Seedlings emerge in 21-27 days.
How to Grow
- Keep weeds under control during the growing season. Weeds compete with plants for water, space and nutrients, so control them by either cultivating often or use a mulch to prevent their seeds from germinating. Avoid disturbing the soil around the plants when weeding.
- Keep plants well watered during dry periods to promote rapid, uninterrupted growth. Plants need about 1 inch of rain per week during the growing season. Use a rain gauge to check to see if you need to add water. It’s best to water with a drip or trickle system that delivers water at low pressure at the soil level. If you water with overhead sprinklers, water early in the day so the foliage has time to dry off before evening, to minimize disease problems. Keep the soil moist but not saturated.
- Monitor for pests and diseases. Check with your local Cooperative Extension Service for pest controls recommended for your area.
Harvest and Preserving Tips
- For sweetest flavor, harvest parsnips after a light frost.
- Continue to harvest parsnips all winter when the ground is not frozen.
- In areas with severe winters, mulch the area in early winter to keep the ground from freezing as long as possible.
- Harvest any remaining parsnips in the spring.
- Try roasting, for a delicate, sweet earthy treat.
- When storing, keep in the refrigerator in a plastic bag to retain moisture. Parsnips may be stored 2-6 months this way.
- Parsnips may be frozen after blanching. They may also be canned.
Days To Maturity105 daysFruit Size12 inchesSunFull SunSpread8 inchesHeight10-15 inchesSow MethodDirect SowPlanting TimeFall, SpringSow Time2-4 weeks BLFThin4 inchesLife CycleAnnual