Mesclun, Savory Gourmet Mix
A symphony of fresh, tangy flavors and vibrant colors—green, red, and white.
Days To Maturity The average number of days from when the plant is actively growing in the garden to the expected time of harvest.
Sun The amount of sunlight this product needs daily in order to perform well in the garden. Full sun means 6 hours of direct sun per day; partial sun means 2-4 hours of direct sun per day; shade means little or no direct sun.
Full Sun, Part Sun
Spread The width of the plant at maturity.
Height The typical height of this product at maturity.
Sow Method This refers to whether the seed should be sown early indoors and the seedlings transplanted outside later, or if the seed should be sown directly in the garden at the recommended planting time.
Direct Sow/Indoor Sow
Planting Time The recommended time of the year in which this product should be planted.
How to Sow
- For optimum flavor, grow in cool weather after danger of frost. Mesclun will not germinate at temperatures over 80 degrees F.
- Prepare the bed by turning the soil under to a depth of 8 inches. Level with a rake to remove clumps of grass and stones.
- Sow in average soil in full sun in mid spring for the first crop and again in late summer for a fall crop. When sowing in late summer, plant in a protected area when temperatures are below 75 degrees F.
- In rows 12 inches apart, sow seed directly in the ground ¼ inch deep and cover with fine soil. Firm lightly and keep evenly moist. Or, broadcast the seeds in the bed.
- Seedlings emerge in 7-14 days depending on soil and weather conditions.
- Plant every 2 weeks to extend harvest time.
- Thin gradually to stand 6 inches apart when seedlings are 1-2 inches high.
How to Grow
- Keep weeds under control during the growing season. Weeds compete with plants for water, space and nutrients, so control them by either cultivating often or use a mulch to prevent their seeds from germinating. Avoid disturbing the soil around the plants when weeding as plants are shallow rooted.
- Keep plants well watered during dry periods to promote rapid, uninterrupted growth. Plants need about 1 inch of rain per week during the growing season. Use a rain gauge to check to see if you need to add water. It’s best to water with a drip or trickle system that delivers water at low pressure at the soil level. If you water with overhead sprinklers, water early in the day so the foliage has time to dry off before evening, to minimize disease problems. Keep the soil moist but not saturated.
- Monitor for pests and diseases. Check with your local Cooperative Extension Service for pest controls recommended for your area.
Harvest and Preserving Tips
- Begin harvesting all mixes about 30 days after germination.
- When the plants are 4-5 inches tall, cut them about 1 inch above the ground, then water the bed with compost tea.
- Many mescluns will resprout in about 20 days and may be cut again. You can harvest entire plants as soon as they are large enough to be used, then replant the bed.
- After harvest, immerse in cold water, and then pat dry. Store in sealed plastic bags and refrigerate.