Mesclun, Salad Fresh Cutting Mix
Our favorite gourmet mixture of delicious greens
Days To Maturity
Direct Sow/Indoor Sow
2-4 weeks BLF
Plant Shipping Information
How to Sow
- For optimum flavor, grow in cool weather after danger of frost. Mesclun will not germinate at temperatures over 80 degrees F.
- Prepare the bed by turning the soil under to a depth of 8 inches. Level with a rake to remove clumps of grass and stones.
- Sow in average soil in full sun in mid spring for the first crop and again in late summer for a fall crop. When sowing in late summer, plant in a protected area when temperatures are below 75 degrees F.
- In rows 12 inches apart, sow seed directly in the ground ¼ inch deep and cover with fine soil. Firm lightly and keep evenly moist. Or, broadcast the seeds in the bed.
- Seedlings emerge in 7-14 days depending on soil and weather conditions.
- Plant every 2 weeks to extend harvest time.
- Thin gradually to stand 6 inches apart when seedlings are 1-2 inches high.
How to Grow
- Keep weeds under control during the growing season. Weeds compete with plants for water, space and nutrients, so control them by either cultivating often or use a mulch to prevent their seeds from germinating. Avoid disturbing the soil around the plants when weeding as plants are shallow rooted.
- Keep plants well watered during dry periods to promote rapid, uninterrupted growth. Plants need about 1 inch of rain per week during the growing season. Use a rain gauge to check to see if you need to add water. It’s best to water with a drip or trickle system that delivers water at low pressure at the soil level. If you water with overhead sprinklers, water early in the day so the foliage has time to dry off before evening, to minimize disease problems. Keep the soil moist but not saturated.
- Monitor for pests and diseases. Check with your local Cooperative Extension Service for pest controls recommended for your area.
Harvest and Preserving Tips
- Begin harvesting all mixes about 30 days after germination.
- When the plants are 4-5 inches tall, cut them about 1 inch above the ground, then water the bed with compost tea.
- Many mescluns will resprout in about 20 days and may be cut again. You can harvest entire plants as soon as they are large enough to be used, then replant the bed.
- After harvest, immerse in cold water, and then pat dry. Store in sealed plastic bags and refrigerate.
Days To Maturity30 daysSunFull SunSpread6 inchesHeight9-15 inchesSow MethodDirect Sow/Indoor SowPlanting TimeFall, SpringSow Time2-4 weeks BLFThin1 inchesLife CycleAnnual
Mesclun, Salad Fresh Cutting Mix is rated out of 5 by 1.Rated 4 out of 5 by Chestnut from Good if you like Strong Flavors! I grew this because I'm fond of "Spring Mix" in the grocery stores. I sowed multiple rows and am still getting many leaves. However, I am exclusively giving this mix to my rabbit who loves strong flavors. The varieties are way too spicy and/or bitter for me. I got: Lolla Rossa (very small leaves, though), Red Salad Bowl (small leaves also), Arugula (so quick to bolt!), Mustard Mizuna (looks like flat endive--bugs love this one), and possibly got Black-Seeded Simpson, but it doesn't look very frilly.Date published: 2008-06-28