Lettuce, Summer-Long Collection
Extended harvest of our best lettuce
Summer-Long collection includes Green Ice (loose leaf), EZ Serve (Romaine) and Burpee Bibb (butter head) lettuce. Plant early in spring and repeat every 2 weeks into fall. Protect from heat with shade cloth. Likes fertile soil, ample water. Best when picked minutes before your meal. Space lettuce plants 8" apart. 500 seeds per packet, will plant about 30' of row.
Buy this product
Item # Product
Order: 3 Pkts (1 of Each)
Days To Maturity
Direct Sow/Indoor Sow
2-4 weeks BLF
How to Sow
- Sow lettuce seeds in average soil in full sun in early spring for first crop. Sow in late summer for fall crop.
- Sow every two weeks to extend harvests.
- In late summer, sow in a protected are that stays below 75 degrees F.
- Sow thinly in rows 12 inches apart and cover with ¼ inch of fine soil.
- Folow the spacing recommended on the seed packet for specific varieties.
- Firm lightly and keep evenly moist.
- Seedlings emerge in 7-10 days.
How to Grow
- Thin to stand 8 inches apart when seedlings are 1-2 inches tall.
- Keep lettuce plants well watered during dry periods to promote rapid, uninterrupted growth.
- Lettuce is shallow-rooted, so avoid disturbing the soil around the plants when weeding.
- Unless there is regular rainfall, lettuce plants must be watered deeply at least once a week and more frequent during periods of drought.
- Mulch your home garden with a layer of compost or clean straw to help the soil retain moisture.
Harvest and Preserving Tips
- For the best quality, pick lettuce early rather than late as lettuce allowed to grow too long may be bitter and tough.
- Try to harvest in the morning when the leaves are crisp, sweet, and full of moisture.
- Harvest looseleaf types anytime the leaves are large enough to use.
- Harvest butterhead types when they have formed heads and the leaves are a good size.
- Cut the heads below the crown.
- On leaf types, you can just pick a few leaves at a time, if you like.
- Store for 5-7 days in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Many gardeners wrap leaves in moist paper towels.
- Lettuce is a classic ingredient in salads. It adds crispness to sandwiches and can be used as a garnish, braised, or added to soups. Many of the looseleaf cultivars are also decorative in the garden.
Days To Maturity45 daysSunFull SunSpread6 inchesHeight9-15 inchesSow MethodDirect Sow/Indoor SowPlanting TimeFall, SpringSow Time2-4 weeks BLFThin8 inchesLife CycleAnnual