Corn Salad, D'Etampes
Traditional French heirloom with delicate flavor, ready for salads or sandwiches.
Days To Maturity
Direct Sow/Indoor Sow
Plant Shipping Information
How to Sow
- For optimum flavor, grow in cool weather after danger of frost.
- Sow in rich well-drained soil in full sun in early to mid-spring and again in late summer.
- In rows 12 inches apart, sow seed directly in the ground ¼ inch deep and cover with fine soil.
- Seedlings emerge in 10-14 days depending on soil and weather conditions.
- Thin gradually to stand 4 inches apart or more closely if harvested when leaves are small.
- Sow every two weeks to extend harvest.
How to Grow
- If temperatures increase, shade to prevent bolting.
- Keep weeds under control during the growing season. Weeds compete with plants for water, space and nutrients, so control them by either cultivating often or use a mulch to prevent their seeds from germinating. Avoid disturbing the soil around the plants when weeding.
- Keep plants well watered during dry periods to promote rapid, uninterrupted growth. Plants need about 1 inch of rain per week during the growing season. Use a rain gauge to check to see if you need to add water. It’s best to water with a drip or trickle system that delivers water at low pressure at the soil level. If you water with overhead sprinklers, water early in the day so the foliage has time to dry off before evening, to minimize disease problems. Keep the soil moist but not saturated.
- Monitor for pests and diseases. Check with your local Cooperative Extension Service for pest controls recommended for your area.
Harvest and Preserving Tips
- Begin harvest 40 days after germination.
- Harvest leaves at about 4 inches across as needed, clipping the leaves with scissors on the outside of the rosette. New leaves will continue to form at the center.
- You can also harvest whole plants by pulling them up or cutting at the base of the plant as ground level.
- Store unwashed leaves in the refrigerator for a few days. Wash before using.
Days To Maturity47 daysSunFull SunSpread3 inchesHeight4 inchesSow MethodDirect Sow/Indoor SowPlanting TimeSpringThin3 inchesLife CycleAnnual