Broccoli, Raab Rapini Organic
Best when grown in cool weather.
Days To Maturity The average number of days from when the plant is actively growing in the garden to the expected time of harvest.
Sun The amount of sunlight this product needs daily in order to perform well in the garden. Full sun means 6 hours of direct sun per day; partial sun means 2-4 hours of direct sun per day; shade means little or no direct sun.
Spread The width of the plant at maturity.
Height The typical height of this product at maturity.
Sow Method This refers to whether the seed should be sown early indoors and the seedlings transplanted outside later, or if the seed should be sown directly in the garden at the recommended planting time.
Planting Time The recommended time of the year in which this product should be planted.
How to Sow
- Broccoli Raab is a cool season crop sown in average soil in early spring as soon as the soil is workable.
- Sow in rows 8-12 inches apart, cover with ¼ inch of fine soil.
- Keep evenly moist.
- Seedlings emerge in 10-21 days.
- Thin to stand about 4-6 inches apart when seedlings are 1-2 inches high.
How to Grow
- Keep weeds under control during the growing season. Weeds compete with plants for water, space and nutrients, so control them by either cultivating often or use a mulch to prevent their seeds from germinating. Avoid disturbing the soil around the plants when weeding.
- Keep plants well watered during dry periods to promote rapid, uninterrupted growth.
- Monitor for pests and diseases. Check with your local Cooperative Extension Service for pest controls recommended for your area.
Harvest and Preserving Tips
Plants produce an abundance of small leaves and many side-shoots no larger than a quarter.
Pick shoots and leaves in about 35 days.
Harvest whole plants when sprouts are 1-2 inches across just as they begin to flower.
Keep picking to extend harvest.