You’ve certainly heard about the benefits of eating your veggies. Sure, they’ve got health benefits and taste delicious, but they can do even more: potato stamps can be a fun and inexpensive way to create a work of art. Let your creative juices flow! These homemade stamps can be as simple or as intricate as you like, and are great for all ages. Press them onto a piece of paper or a t-shirt for an easy and fun homemade art project.
What You Need:
• 2 or 3 potatoes
• Stencil (optional)
• 1 large knife
• 1 paring knife
• Paint (tempera paint washes away easily!)
• Paintbrushes or sponges
• Plate, or paint palette
• Paper, or something to press your stamps onto
What To Do:
- Using your large knife, cut raw potatoes in half
- Take the smaller paring knife and carve a design into your potatoes.
- You can cut designs free-hand, or use a stencil. Get creative!
- Once the design has been carved into the potato, cut away the background about 1/4 inch.
- Wipe away any extra moisture on the potato with a paper towel.
- Using your paintbrush or sponge, paint a thick coat onto the top of your potato stamp.
- Turn your potato stamps into artwork! When pressing the stamp onto paper, be sure to press fimly and evenly.
- You can try out your potato stamp design on a t-shirt too! Just be sure to use fabric paint.