Makes one 8-inch square tart (8 servings)
Tarragon and carrot are a winning combination, and this colorful tart makes a perfect appetizer or side dish.
1 square frozen puff pastry crust, (defrosted)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 medium carrots ( about 2 cups grated)
1 shallot, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the pastry crust from the freezer and defrost at room temperature for 40 minutes until pliable. Dust with flour and roll out to fit the tart pan and transfer. Using the back of a spoon or a rolling pin, neatly trim the edges. Set aside.
- Grate the carrots and measure out 2 cups. Heat the olive oil in a skillet and lightly sauté the shallot. Set aside.
- To assemble, paint the pastry with mustard, sprinkle with cheese, shallots, red pepper, carrots and the tarragon leaves.
- In a small bowl, whip together the eggs and the milk until frothy. Pour evenly over the vegetables.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake 30 minutes. Cool slightly and remove from the pan. Cut into squares and serve warm or cold.