Decorate your garden with cute handmade upcycled ladybug ornaments that are sure to bring a smile to the face of all who see them. Creating upcycled garden ornaments helps kids learn the importance of recycling and upcycling.
What you need:
• Golf balls
• Water bottle caps
• Acrylic paint in red, black and white (although you can make them in any color you wish)
• Brushes, water, palette and paper towels for painting
• Googly eyes
• Fuzzy sticks or pipe cleaners
- Think about and discuss why we recycle and upcycle
- Paint the golf ball and bottle caps black
- Glue the bottle caps to the center of the bottom of the golf ball. This is to prevent it from rolling.
- Once the paint is dry (about an hour), use the red paint to paint wings. TIP: to make this easier you can outline where to paint in chalk which may be wiped off later.
- After the red paint dries, use the black paint to make dots, and the white paint to make a smile.
- Glue the googly eyes onto the face of your ladybug.
- Cut the fuzzy sticks or pipe cleaners about 2 inches long, and bend them so there is about ¼ inch flat surface in the center, and glue to the top of the golf ball where the wings meet the face.
- Place in the garden and enjoy!