W. Atlee Burpee Company is the leading retail/mail order distributor of seed and gardening supplies to the American home gardener. We have an immediate opening for a Seed Production Manager. Primary responsibilities include but not limited to: planning, coordinating and assisting in the day-to-day seed purchasing requirements of the organization. Responsible for Planning, Implementation and Managing of all contract seed productions. Manage the stock seed inventory of the company and ensure that the quality of the parental lines is maintained pure and true to type. Maintain the integrity of the parental records and keep a duplicate sample of each parent line in a separate location to ensure continuity of parental lines.
- Responsible for Planning, Implementation and Managing of all contract seed productions for Exclusive, Non Exclusive & Proprietary varieties
- Create, develop and maintain seed production plan
- Responsible for maintaining stock seed planning tool
- Review the day-to-day seed requirements to ensure production is operating efficiently
- Assist in managing the purchase order creation and authorization process
- Manage and maintain seed planning tool and purchasing planning calendar
- Work with planning to coordinate the delivery of seed to meet the needs of the Production Schedule
- Meet with vendors and assist in negotiating the best possible prices for seed purchases and freight costs
- Monitor safety seed stock levels
- Review, evaluate and approve specifications for issuing and awarding bids to suppliers through RFQ process
- Coordinate the delivery of stock seed to support production orders
- Ensure the genetic purity of the lines through careful management of the production and roguing
- Maintain a 3 year average inventory of all the parental lines/stock seed of the company
- Ensure the protection of the lines in case of catastrophic events by maintaining a separate inventory in another location
- Visit vendors and trials to evaluate products in field performance
- Assist in Inventory control function for seed
- All other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Horticulture
- 3 to 5 years experience Purchasing and Seed Production
If you meet the requirements and qualifications, please email your cover letter with salary requirements, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org - Subject line “Seed Production Manager – Job Code 2016-1” or log onto our website at www.burpee.com and click on “employment link”. COVER LETTERS/RESUMES WITHOUT REQUESTED INFORMATION WILL BE CONSIDERED LAST. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Un-qualified candidates need not apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer.