Bill-e-Bear Seedling

Bill-e-Bear

Dealing with deer and other pests

I'm new to all this. I have a HUGE backyard and I know we have Wild Turkey, Deer and Fox.

This is going to be my fist garden without a gardener or landscaper.

What is the best way to stop them from eating my garden.

My new neighbors told me to put up a 6-8 foot fence.

I hate the look of a high fenced around a garden.

Thanks All

Bill-e-Bear

Views: 3455 Replies: 5 Date: 2012-03-24T08:19:06.000Z
Result Count: 5

Tools

barbara-b

barbara-b

Re: Dealing with deer and other pests

I have tried everything to fend off deer in my garden over the many years. Around 5 years ago, I got a tip from a fellow member of a Garden Club. She gave me a recipe that her Grandma gave to her and is as follows: take an empty gallon milk jug. To it add 1 raw egg, 1 cup minced garlic ( the kind you can buy in a jar in the grocery store) and 1 cup vinegar (doesn't matter white or cider). Add water to fill the jug and shake like crazy- you might even let it sit a day. Then strain this through an old pantyhose or some other fine mesh material and pour into a sprayer. I use old sprayer bottles or for the large garden, I put it into my commercial sprayer. I guess I have about a 1/2 acre vegetable garden every year and this truly stops them from devouring my plants!! I have actually seen a deer in my plants take a nip and walk away.It has really saved my garden and it doesn't make your yard smell either. Hope you try it!Cool

2012-03-25T05:58:43.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

NewYorkMillet

It sounds silly, but my mom always sprinkled her plants with moth balls to keep the deer away. Barbara's suggestion sounds interesting. Let us know if it works!

2012-03-27T08:12:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Deer don’t eat what they can’t see so a high stockade fence can help. Also try to plant plants they don’t l Deer generally don’t like:

Perennials: Pachysandra, Viburnum, Bleeding Heart, Ornamental Fescue, Potentilla, Foxglove, Tansy, Fritilia, Daffodil, Forget-Me-Not, Sage, Iris, Lavender, Lily of the Valley, Hellebore, Mint, and most herbs.

Annuals: Anise ,Vinca, Dusty Miller ,Nicotiana, Heliotrope, Poppy, Calendula, Snapdragon, Cleome, Statice, Strawflower,  and Alyssum

A warning, if the deer are hungry enough deer will eat anything,

2012-03-29T06:15:56.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

JillianK

I love the idea that barbara-b posted. Does anybody know if that will help with bunnies too? I have 6 bunnies that live in my yard, and I don't want to remove them. I just don't want them to eat my plants.

2012-05-10T02:47:41.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

rockytop

rockytop

If you don't want a high fence, you can use the small rod type posts. Tie some twine towards the top of the post and connect to the rest of the posts all around your garden. On this one line of twine tie a small rag every three feet or so. Get some coyote urine(used by trappers) and dip the tip of each rag in the urine. Repeat after each rainfall, or every week or two. You can't smell it unless you'r very close. I have seen deer walk up to the fence and then leave every time.

2012-05-25T08:38:16.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 5