burpee Garden Guru

burpee

Kids and Gardening

We would like to see children more interested in gardening.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate kids and gardening?

Views: 3304 Replies: 6 Date: 2012-05-29T12:42:56.000Z
Result Count: 6

Tools

Green Thumb

mikeburch3

Re: Kids and Gardening

OH YEAH HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY LITTLE GRANDDAUGHTER

2012-06-06T23:14:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

mikeburch3

my 2.5 year old granddaughter is so curious and loves to eat.She just loves to explore in the garden.has to touch,smell and taste everthing she encounters.sometimes this can be a trial in itself,but it is ALWAYS a pleasure for me  to teach her.She loves all the vegetables and wants to pick and eat them,also wants to try all of my herbs.sometimes with good results,sometimes not so good,but always coming back to 'help'.one of her first words were 'flower' and 'oh pretty'the expression on her face is priceless,when she first sees a new daylilly bloom,or her first bite into a fresh tomato.she will roll up her eyes in pure delight,she will rubb her belly and say' delicious papa".she loves all of the birds that visit the garden,she will try to pet them,with the resulting response of them flying away.'oh papa,they don't like me.i will tell her they love her,just that birds do not like to be touched,ok,she says.I love my time spent with this little precious gift from GOD.

2012-06-06T23:12:21.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

CarrotChick

Start out by taking young kids to a pumpkin patch or strawberry field to pick their own. Then, next year grow your own!

2012-06-05T11:49:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

DadtheGardener

DadtheGardener

It's an activity that I can share with my kids that teaches them where food comes from, patience in watching the plants grow and nurturing the plants in the garden.  They love to get their hands dirty and water the plants.  Great relationship-builder and fodder for dinnertime conversations.

2012-06-05T11:29:43.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

momteach

momteach

Let them help you pick what to plant.  When doing the actual planting, have them help dig the holes (they might not be as perfect as you'd like, but a hole is a hole).  Get them their own watering can and put them in charge of watering a certain plant/vegetable.  Make it fun!

2012-06-05T10:12:40.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

gardenmama

I garden with with my daughter to give her the opportunity to explore new things. From eating dirt to using the plant pot as a shovel and watering with a miniature watering can, the excitement on her face when she's in the garden is infections.

2012-06-05T10:08:55.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 6