mikeburch3 Green Thumb

mikeburch3

Gardening for My Health

As a Type 2 diabetic in stage 4 kidney failure, my visits to the doctor are not always pleasant. However, this time was different — blood pressure down, kidney failure reversed, blood sugar levels manageable — so naturally my doc asked, “What have you been doing?” You can imagine his surprise when I said, “Gardening.”

I explained to him that I planted a vegetable and flower garden to keep my mind off my health problems. After all, with planting, mulching, weeding, fertilizing, pruning, staking and harvesting, who has time to worry about little inconveniences like kidney failure, lung disease and diabetes? I went on to explain how I planted more than 41 tomatoes, peppers, squash and daylilies in my backyard.

Now, I know modern medicine can do wonders for ailments such as mine. However, I truly believe my backyard garden not only has contributed to my improved health, it has improved my attitude toward life in general. Even my family has seen a difference — I can tell they enjoy my upbeat mind-set, not to mention the fresh vegetables.

With my family’s support, my garden and my health are flourishing. My wife and daughter walk through the garden daily to see which healthy vegetables they can incorporate in our supper. I’m so thankful for the ability to grow these health support tools; I wanted to share the love. I recently started sharing my produce with many of the elderly folks in our community, as well. Seeing the expression on their faces when we make our deliveries is payment enough for our efforts.

While I could credit my doctor’s efforts for my recent improvement, I know it’s the miracle of my vegetable garden and my wonderful family that’s made all the difference. I have to say, being one with nature has been a very rewarding and relaxing experience for me. Where else can one experience the marvel of growth, harvest and restoration so quickly, except in your own backyard? It is a joy and a wonderment I hope for every individual to be able to experience. Happy gardening to you!

Views: 5137 Replies: 9 Date: 2012-06-06T14:30:44.000Z
Result Count: 9

Tools

ginnylee

ginnylee

Re: Gardening for My Health

That is so wonderful, my gardening helps me with my blood pressure also my whole outlook on life!!!!!  Keep gardening!!!!!

2012-06-09T14:22:56.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

ginnylee

ginnylee

That is so wonderful, my gardening helps me with my blood pressure also my whole outlook on life!!!!!  Keep gardening!!!!!

2012-06-09T14:23:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

mikeburch3

THANK You,ginnylee, you keep up the good work also.It just seems to me that after  HURRY,WORRY,AND THEN BURRY (AS IN BURY )THE GARDEN IS INDEED A PLACE OF SOLITUDE,AND RECHARGE FOR YOUR SOUL.

2012-06-09T18:09:22.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

mikeburch3

Just came back up from my garden area.it is 9:28 PM. My 14 yr old granddaughter has 2 of her best friends (they are all in the honor society at school ) and my granddaughter and one of her friends are also cheerleaders at school.they wanted to toast marshmellos down by the garden.we have a small fire pit there for that purpose,also for the wood ash ,which is great for the maters.Anyways ,we have 2 granddaughters living with us,Denise and Janise.these kids have been through so much turmoil in their young lives.last year or was that 2 years ago when Alabama had all those tornados .their home was destroyed so they moved in with my wife and me.they have been a blessing to us,thank GOD for grand kids. occasionally we have our 2.5 year old with us also.her name is Shaylynn,and I am absouletly smitten with her.Shaylynn calls me PAPA.SHE JUST LOVES MY GARDEN.So there you go another reason why a garden is so good (with out a garden,what would i do with all that wood ash from roasting marshmellos )my elderly neighbors are sure enjoying the squash,peppers and tomatoes we are taking to them,infact all of our neighbors are benefitting from our garden.where once everyone was standoffish,now averyone waves ,toots their horn when they drive by.what a difference that little garden space has made in our little community.so there you go ,ginnylee....i sure hope you get the same response we have been getting....HAPPY GARDENING TO YOU....mike b

2012-06-09T18:47:03.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

gardenmama

I couldn't agree more with your comment, mikeburch3. The garden is a wonderful recharge for the soul :)

2012-06-11T14:18:44.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

mikeburch3

Hi,gardenmama,how are you??fine I hope.I recieved my vigna caracalla (snail flower,or corkscrew flower ) today from Burpee.suppose to get 5 seeds,they sent me 7,i am happy...planted them in 5 inch azales pots,suppose to germinate in 5-7 days,can't wait,i am so excited.I was up in North Carolina helping out my son(he lives in Madison,N.C ,A COOL LITTLE TOWN )While there Chris and Laurie took me to Old Salem.I fell in love with that wonderful place.I t was there that I saw the corkscrew flower in full bloom,oh, what a beauty and what marvelous frangrance.This plant is in the pea family,i think,it will grow up to 20 ft long.great for a chain link fence(I hope )it is a vine.will let you know how it comes out.oh,yeah also got in more tomato seeds from Burpee,will be planting those seeds in aBOUT 4-5 WEEKS FOR A FALL GARDEN.I have to tell you I have had lots of experiences with other seed companys,but I AM SO IMPRESSED WITH BURPEE,AND EVERY SINGLE PERSON I HAVE HAD THE PLEASURE OF TALKING TO.MY SQUASH IS STARTNG TO BURN OUT FOR THE SUMMER,SO FAR THE TOMATOES ARE HOLDING THEIR OWN,NEMATODES IN MY PEPPERS,DARN IT.PLANTING MARAGOLDS THROUGH THE GARDEN IN AN EFFORT TO HELP KEEP THOSE LITTLE EEL WORMS AT BAY....WELL GOTTA GO...HAPPY GARDENING TO YOU...mike burch

2012-06-13T16:36:14.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

mikeburch3

hello again,gardenmama,who is that beautiful little helper,assisting you

2012-06-13T16:37:57.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

NewYorkMillet

What an inspiring story! I love to hear about people turning their health around through eating right! Good luck to you, Michael. May you have many healthy days ahead!

2012-06-14T09:41:38.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

mikeburch3

Thank You,...NewYorkMillet....been raining here if Ocala,Fl. all day today,and most of yesterday as well.THANK YOU GOD...we were and are so dry here.nothing to do here today...so ..we have been eating ..a...lot...fresh tomatoes.peppers.(Burpee Sweet hots,Burpee jalepeno,Burpee sweet bells peppers ) fried green brandywine tomatoes ( I THINK THE BEST i HAVE EVER EATEN,thanks to my wonderful wife..Audrey..)also freash peas and okra...yum..fresh collard greens...yum again..whipped potatoes....iron skillit cornbread...roast pork loin...my wife is a far better woman than i deserve,and I thank GOD for her everyday!!!My job is to tend to the garden,hers is to cook whatever I bring in,and man o man can that woman cook.Even my dad ,who passed away 5 years ago at age 86,said Audrey is the best cook he has ever known.She took such fantastic care of my dad.Dad was suffering from lung disease,which is why we moved to Florida in the first place.He simply did not want to leave here,so my wonderful wife stated if dad wont come to us,then we shall go to him.So we sold our house ,quit our jobs in Alabama and moved to Florida.How could a man ask for a better wife than that!!Once we moved here,she would go to his house every morning to make sure he had a hot breakfast,and would send two plates of food to him and my brother at night.when his health got to bad she moved him in with us.She was holding his hand at 1:30 AM when dad took his last breath.My wife is a far better woman than i deserve,and i love her every minute of every day...she loves my garden,and what it is doing for me.and I love what she can do with the produce from it

2012-06-24T13:17:37.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 9