tinygarden Soil Stomper

tinygarden

Potatoes in potato bags

I have two potato bags and have Yukon Gold in one and a red-skin (can't remember the name) in the other. Both were listed as having approximately the same growth needs and harvest time.

The Yukon Golds bloomed some time ago and I can now find small (1 1/2 inch) potatoes if I dig down a few inches with my fingers. The foliage on both of them has been lush and healthy. However, the reds have never bloomed, some of the foliage is beginning to turn, and I find no little potatoes.  No bugs or other insects are noted.

Why have the red-skins not bloomed, and isn't blooming necessary in order for the little potatoes to develop? Should I continue to wait or discard them and plant something else? 

Views: 327 Replies: 2 Date: 2014-06-16T21:27:28.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Soil Stomper

tinygarden

Re: Potatoes in potato bags

OK, I still don't know why the redskins didn't bloom, but I got over 5 lbs of potatoes from the bag. Slightly over 6 lbs of Yukon Golds. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but there is only two of us and I don't have a root cellar or other good way to store lots of them. Besides the grandchildren (7 and 2) had so much fun digging them out!

2014-08-19T00:39:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Potatoes in potato bags

This is not uncommon, not all potato plants will bloom, it does not affect the quantiy or production of the potato. Do you remember the name of the red one?

2014-08-28T13:16:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2