GirlScoutMom Soil Stomper

GirlScoutMom

Daisy Girl Scout Troop

Hello,

I'm a first year Daisy Troop leader of 11 girls, all ranging in age of 5-7 years old.  I have a wonderful group of girls.  We are starting our Daisy Garden this spring and I don't have a clue as to what to do.  I have never growing anything outside of house plants and that didn't go well.  

I really want this to be a great experience for my girls.  Can anyone give me some easy ideas to make this Daisy Garden a success!! We have two 10X10 plots in our community garden.  I wanted the girls to have enouch space to plant what they want.  I plan to plant herbs, fruit, vegetables and Flowers.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Views: 371 Replies: 2 Date: 2014-03-17T16:11:28.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Daisy Girl Scout Troop

For the most part you want easy seeds that can be directly sown in the garden

Flowers include:

Sunflowers

Cosmos

Zinnia

Calendula

Marigold

Vegetables include:

Looseleaf lettuce

Carrots

Bush beans

Beets

Cucumbers

Summers squash

Radishes

Basil

A good fruit would be Sugar Baby Watermelon , it is the easiest and still small enough to grow in a garden that size

You can also grow tomatoes and peppers, however, starting seed inside can be difficult for the novice gardener  so you may want to get plants.

If you are looking for daisies try

Sunflower

Cosmos Sonata

Chamomile

Pinwheel zinnia

2014-03-17T19:35:45.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

GirlScoutMom

Re: Daisy Girl Scout Troop

Thanks for responding.  My next question is does it matter that I live in the Chicagoland area?  With the frost?  How much of everything will I need for the girls to all have a good experience..  Also, Is there anything to help me with mapping out the plot so that I don't plant things next to eachother that should not be planted together.  I am trying to get organized because I have 11 girls and I want this to be and FUN and EASY process for them.  Thanks againg for your help.

2014-03-18T15:16:52.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2