BrittW Garden Guru

BrittW

Raspberry patch out of control

My raspberry plants are out of control.  They are getting very large and are spreading so much that it is difficult to get into the patch to pull weeds (also out of control) and I can barely get to many of the berries by August. The plants range in varieties, and are all between 2-5 years old.  I'm trying to decide how to prune them, train them, and get them back in some kind of order this year.  If possible, would prefer NOT to sacrifice having at least some of both early and late harvest, because I truly love snacking on sun-ripened berries while I'm out in the garden throughout the summer.  I would appreciate any suggestions or advice on managing these wily brambles!

Views: 637 Replies: 2 Date: 2014-02-21T23:25:21.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Garden Guru

BrittW

Re: Raspberry patch out of control

Thank you, I have emailed my address. 

2014-02-28T20:40:53.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Raspberry patch out of control

Looking at your pictures, we can see a number of different stakes holding up your plants.  Before leaves emerge this season, cut the weakest, diseased or broken canes to the ground.  Erect two "T" posts on either side of your patch and string wire from each arm of the post.  This kind of support will help lift canes that want to arch over.

Red raspberries like Heritage and Killarney, and yellow Anne produce new canes (primocanes) from crownbuds and from buds along the roots (suckers). These root suckers come up and can form a thick bramble patch if not managed. Pull out suckers growing outside the row. Prune red and yellow raspberries twice a year – in early spring to remove weak canes, and then  right after harvest to remove canes that already fruited.  YOu are removing the entire cane.

Black raspberries like Jewel are less aggressive, producing primocanes only from the crown of the original planting. Plants do not need support if pruned properly. Prune three times a year. Add to the pruning done in early spring and after harvest – a summer topping to encourage side shoots  off the canes.  Pinch back 3-4 inches off shoots up to 2 feet tall.  Black raspberries tend to be more susceptible to diseases; plant these away from the red and yellow varieties.

Regular pruning helps reduce cane diseases and improves fruiting.  Space plants to allow for good air circulation and exposure to sunlight.  Water about 1 inch a week from flowering to near end of harvest, with enough water to wet the soil to 6-8 inches deep.

We would like to send you a printed brochure if you will forward your mailing address to custserv@burpee.com.

2014-02-22T21:11:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2