BrittW Garden Guru

BrittW

Garlic planting in the spring?

I have several types of garlic that I wasn't able to finish planting in the fall, due to bad weather and timing, and early cold and snow.  I would like to plant them anyway this spring once the ground thaws, if the weather will cooperate.  I have kept the bulbs in my basement in the dark, and they appear to be free of mold/fungus, and only a few have some minimal sprouting.  Is there anything I should do with these bulbs prior to planting? I'm wondering if I need to store them in the fridge for a few weeks, similar to forcing flower bulbs, in order to give them the chilling/dormancy phase they missed out on.  Also, is there any time frame to follow for this? I'm thinking that similar to onions, garlic can probably be planted outside as soon as the ground can be broken. Any advice would be appreciated!

Views: 890 Replies: 3 Date: 2014-02-21T22:58:46.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Garlic planting in the spring?

BrittW Do you Know if they were hardneck or softneck?  If they were short day as long as they are not soft they should be fine. If they were hardneck they really needed a cold period to grow their root so they may not produce any cloves. Plant them as soon as you can.

2014-02-25T14:16:03.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

Re: Garlic planting in the spring? Follow up question

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a few hard neck and a few soft neck varieties remaining.  All seem to be in good condition. Still lots of ice and snow here. It will probably be a few weeks before I could even think of getting them out in the garden.  Do you think planting in containers could be an option? I have several large containers I could put outside right away. 

2014-02-28T20:35:14.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Garlic planting in the spring?

Hardneck garlic really needs the cold winter to produce the bulbs, and they do not form bulbs very well in  containers. You will get the tops but you may not get any bulbs.

2014-03-10T18:23:04.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3