TexasLady Seedling

TexasLady

Raised Bed Vegetable growing

I have three raised beds, 4x4 area, and want to grow vegetable for home use.  I'm not sure how many I can plant or how much space to

allow for.  I would like to plant onions, green beans, tomatoes, squash and eggplants.  I have lot's of experience with flowers, but not

vegetables.  I plan to read up on gardens, but could use advice from others on vegetables.

Thank you

Views: 1361 Replies: 5 Date: 2014-02-16T17:54:33.000Z
Result Count: 5

Tools

_unc69_

_unc69_

Re: Raised Bed Vegetable growing

depending on the type of squash  you are planting willl depend on the room you will need for zuccini squash i have seen plants get 3 ft in diameter for other squash varieties most are vine bearers and require more room like cucmbers. i am actually considering the pallet method for my zuccini and melons this  year will give them support and keep them off the dirt

2014-03-31T19:26:09.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

RealMenGarden Soil Stomper

RealMenGarden

I have used raised beds of one design or another for years, and the most important lesson I've learned about the "density" of your planting is this:

You need to be able to easily weed around your plants or you won't!

This past year my beds were intentionally long and wide.  This wouldn't have been a problem except that I also planted my rows close together.

When it came time to weed/cultivate, I found that there wasn't adequate room to move about the beds.  I damaged some plants and simply didn't weed around others because of the hassle caused by my mistake.

This year, my beds are all a maximum of 4 feet wide with 3 feet between them to give me working room.  It will reduce my planting space by about 1/3, but at the same time, it will reduce the effort in caring for the beds.

Tony.

2015-02-15T22:43:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

EdiblLndscpsPBC

EdiblLndscpsPBC

Down here in Florida (Zone 10) it's time NOW to plant warm-weather veggies, before it gets too hot. May I suggest a large pot full of quick-growing radishes, to grow your confidence? Have fun!

2015-03-04T18:56:22.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Leslie

All New Square Foot Gardening, Second Edition: The Revolutionary Way to Grow More In Less Space

2015-05-25T13:28:17.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Brett

That's not an awful lot of room. I veggie-garden with 3-4 times the space and I still feel cramped. I've found a few things out since taking over the garden here: Fewer plants seem to be bearing more than overcrowded plantings. Training cukes, tomatoes (indeterminant - ie: vine) and Waltham Butternut squash upwards makes the most of the limited space I have to work with. This cannot be done with the bush beans, onions, brussel sprouts & peppers however. All is not hopeless though. After harvesting our onions here (all were pulled by August 1st), I fixed up the soil with some compost, manure and a sprinkle of balanced fertilizer, then started late some crops of spinach and beets, which are doing very well.

Gardening in small plots requires a touch of ingenuiy. I train plants upward and do succession planting. I don't know if this might be an issue for you, but just take care not to let your vertically trained vines put the shorter ones in the shade. Up here in New England, onions, for example, do a lot better in full sun than even slightly partial shade. Good luck & let us know how things work out for you.

2015-08-28T19:53:55.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 5