tinygarden Soil Stomper

tinygarden

grafted tomatoes

I'd like to hear from people who have grown -- or tried to! -- grafted tomatoes. How did they do for you? Any problems? And are they worth the extra price? I have very limited space but love tomatoes. I use a 4x8 raised bed and can do 2-4 tomato plants, depending on size and habit. (I like to grow other things, too!) Trying to make up my mind. Thanks

Views: 564 Replies: 3 Date: 2014-02-01T17:52:14.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: grafted tomatoes

Before becoming a Burpee horticulturist, I managed a property in Rhode Island.  There, a coworker in his seventies was an advid home gardener who had tremendous success with his tomtaoes every year.  Last year, he "trialed" grafted tomatoes next to his favorite heirlooms and hybrids.  He could not stop raving all summer-  he loved them better than his favorites!  They were vigorous the second he put them in the ground; and they were so productive: he shared his bounty with the staff (he loved to show off his produce) and everyone agreed that they were the best tasting tomatoes he had ever brought in. 

Every experience with a new variety or hybrid will be different, but Johnny D was excited to convert all his tomtaoes to grafted tomatoes this year.  For me, that could not be a higher recommendation.

2014-02-08T19:19:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

tinygarden

It's now mid-august and time for a progress report. Not much progress, frankly. I ordered 3 grafted tomatoes (Rutgers, Rainbow, Black Krim) which arrived in lovely condition and were planted the first week of May. I also planted a new hybrid, Fourth of July, because I wanted an early tomato. All began growing well, bloomed and set fruit. Then it all stopped. I grant we (Dayton OH) have had a really weird and cool summer but they should have done better.

Fourth of July set 5 small tomatoes, one of which really was ripe on July 4. The other four ripened within the next week. Rutgers set 3 fruit, two of which ripened about two weeks after Fourth of July. Rainbow set one very large fruit which was greatly enjoyed by a tomato worm before I could rescue it. Black Krim set and ripened 4 small ones. Recently within the last 2 weeks, Fourth of July has set one more fruit, Rutgers is still struggling from the aforementioned tomato worm and probably won't set any more, Rainbow this week set two more, and Black Krim also set 3 this past week. Hardly prolific yields. Another month, if the weather holds, we might have a few more to enjoy.

The rest of the garden has been spotty as well. Lettuce and green beans (how did 2 pole beans get into my bush beans?) did beautifully. Peas and cucumbers ok, but not great. Melon (ambrosia) is vining all over the place -- loads of male blooms! -- but I only see one melon actually developing. Two green pepper plants have produced lots of blooms but only one pepper. Winter squash, carrots, beets are a total fizzle.

Trying to decide if grafted tomatoes are worth the extra expense and gamble on a better growing season next year.

2014-08-19T01:01:56.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

We are sorry to hear about your bad experience with our grafted plants.  Heirlooms tend to produce later.  Please email us at custserv@burpee.com  with a picture so we can see what is going on.

2014-08-28T13:20:25.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3