WhiteOak Seedling

WhiteOak

Georgia Gardening

Hi, Growing a garden in Georgia is not the easiest thing to do.  Or at least not for me.  My gardens start out good, but soon dry out and die.  I ordered me a book yesterday about square inch gardening.  I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to maintain a garden here in Georgia.  I have very limited space so I have a 4 x 4 garden space and also plant a lot of things in containers. I also just purchased me a small green house so I am hoping I can get some seeds going so they can be strong and healthy before I put them in the ground.

Is there a way to block the hot sun to shield the plants? Is there a secret to watering the plants so they do not dry as fast? Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to better garden in the South.

Views: 539 Replies: 1 Date: 2014-01-09T14:48:43.000Z
Result Count: 1

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Georgia Gardening

Dear Georgia Gardener. So sorry to hear you are having challenges with square foot gardening in your Georgia garden. We usually suggest that for local issues you contact your cooperative extension service for suggestions of varieties to grow in your area, as well as tips for handling particular challenges you and your neighbors face in your local conditions. In general for square foot gardening, especially if you are gardening with raised beds, you want to make sure there is plenty of organic matter in your soil, and you might want to invest in a drip irrigation system as well to keep the beds from drying out in the hot Georgia sun.

2014-01-09T21:03:45.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 1