SaipanRomeo Soil Stomper

SaipanRomeo

Island gardening help requested...

Hello, I am a rookie gardener looking for any useful advice, for my situation... I have grown a few things like rosemary and cilantro in the past off and on and I have read countless online articles.

I live in the US Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands on the island of Saipan (Guam is down island), according to my research, I am in Zone 9.  

The reality of it is there are very few articles for Zone 9 and the few that do exist, really don't pertain to my situation (its pretty much the same tempature/humidity level all year round). Please note that I have found some sites and articles for Hawai'i, but Hawai'i is a bit cooler than us... So yeah its the same, but different...

This time I'll be planting in containers on my balcony (kinda roomy for a balcony), the balcony faces South and I live on the West side (the beach is accross the street) of the island so it great for shade from the afternoon sun and gets plenty of sun in the morning.

Currently I have a small oregeno plant that I clipped from a friend that I made a few mistakes, but have since figured it out.

I will be planting cilantro and rosemary in the next few days and I am seriously considering doing some tomatoes (hanging).

Does anyone have any useful tips/advice for me? Any useful advice will be apprciated... Blesssngs

Views: 655 Replies: 4 Date: 2014-01-08T04:38:49.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: Island gardening help requested...

Hi!  Please see the following link for a different estimation of Mariana's hardiness zone: http://www.plantsdb.gr/en/general-cultivation/hardiness-zones/277-hardiness-zones-oceania).  If Mariana Island is a zone 11, and as a beach dweller you are receiving a fair amount of wind to reduce the humidity and temperature, then try our selection of mediterranean herbs like rosemary, oregano, lavender, thyme and sweet marigold.  Vegetable options include okra, new zealand spinach, hot peppers and possibly Tasty Lee tomato plants.  The best upside-down tomato plant, Tumbling Tom, may not thrive in your zone's heat. We'd also recommend sweet potatoes, however, as the island is not part of the continetal U.S., Burpee cannot ship the slips (immature live plants) to you-  only seeds.  Please keep us update and happy gardening!

2014-01-08T17:20:06.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

SaipanRomeo Soil Stomper

SaipanRomeo

Thanks a million... This really changes things... Simply knowing which zone I'm in will help alot... You may want to tell someone that the zone on the site gave me the wrong info (Dept of Ag was wrong too) also the app I downloaded from Burpee is also giving me the wrong info for my region too.

I'll proably order some Tasti Lee seeds soon, I'd like to do two different types of tomatoes.  Can you suggest another that would do well here on island?

Also, I'd like to have a regular supply of tomatoes... how far apart should I try planting them?

Thanks again and any and all useful tips are really apprciated... Blessings

2014-01-11T06:52:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Our second tomato for hot climates would be Heatwave II Hybrid; and as this tomato is determinate, it should fair decently in a container.  Both Heatwave and Tasti-Lee ripen in the 70-75 days range, which means they would produce a flush of fruit at about the same time.  To extend your season, consider starting one tomato two weeks or more later than the other tomato.  This "staggered" planting works really well with short crops like radishes, peas and spinach.  You may not notice as much a difference with a longer crop like  a tomato.  Can you grow through most of your winter?  If that is the case, start a crop every month if your deck can support it! Happy gardening!

2014-01-16T22:25:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

SaipanRomeo Soil Stomper

SaipanRomeo

Actually, this is the coldest part of the year... but the tempature is pretty much the same all year round... Its 2pm and its 82F and last night it was like 75F, normally its like 84F during the day and like 78F at night...

So yeah I can grow stuff all year round... I'll try out the tomatoe you recommended, and I got a pretty large balcony (for being an apartment) so I'll proably put a few.  Thanks, I'll update you later... Blessings

2014-01-17T04:03:21.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4