karren Seedling

karren

rhubarb

About 4 years ago I planted some rhubarb in an area where there had been pine trees.  Each year the rhubarb comes up and then in short period of time it goes to seed.  I have broke off the seed stalks, but as of this year I have still not been able to very much rhubarb.  The area gets plenty of sun and water.  Should I move the plants?

Also, I have been planting tomatoes in containers.  They start off well, but about the middle of July the plants start to dry up from the bottom.  I put new/fresh soil in the pots every year and I also clean the pots out before I put the new soil in.  I  have lots of bird feeders on the patio where the the pots of tomatoes are.  The birds use the wire cages around the tomatoes as a resting place before they fly to the feeders.  Could the bird 'waste' (and there are LOTS of birds) be causing the problem?

Views: 540 Replies: 1 Date: 2013-08-03T16:53:54.000Z
Result Count: 1

Tools

Soil Stomper

DianaHolly

Re: rhubarb

What zone are you in? Rhubard prefers cool climates and does much better in the norther part of the country.  Also, you might consider doing a soil test in that area, as the pine trees might have caused the soil to become acidic.  That could be a great place to grow plants like blueberries or hydrangeas that prefer more acidic soil.  

As for the tomatoes, have you grown tomatoes in the same containers year after year? Do you change the soil completely each year? When the leave start to die, are they getting spotted and yellowing first?  My guess is that they have late blight, which usually starts to set in in July.  It kills off leaves from the bottom up, and lives in the soil year over year.  You can slow the spread by removing the affected leave at the first signs of blight.  You can also try spraying with a fungicide, but blight is tricky and hard to treat.  Next year, empty your containers and wash them with disinfectant.  Then fill them with new soil suitable for container gardening.  Always water your tomatoes at the soil level, and avoid soil splashing up onto the leaves as this can spread blight.  Do not put affected leaves or plants in your compost pile.

I don't think the birds are related.

2013-08-09T14:49:40.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 1