DianaHolly Soil Stomper

DianaHolly

Squirrels in the Garden

We've been figthing a losing battle against squirrels for the last several years, to the point that I didn't even want to grow tomatoes because the squirrels take them all.  But my fiance insisted we try again.  This year, they have stolen most of our tomatoes, all of our watermelons, and even some of our ground cherries.  I've tried granualar deterents that you shake on the ground.  I've tried hot pepper wax stray of the fruits.  I put out a bowls of water for them because I read they will "drink" from the tomatoes.  I've tried fermented garlic and hot pepper sprays.  I even tried putting dirty clumps of my cat's litter out in the garden.  But nothing works.   Does anyone know of a good way to protect my poor tomatoes?

Views: 1536 Replies: 4 Date: 2013-07-29T15:37:40.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Soil Stomper

tracy111

Re: Squirrels in the Garden

This might sound really crazy..... but if you happen to know anyone that has a Wolf Hybrid dog ask for some of the hair when they brush them and hang it in pantyhose around your yard. Before we got out Hybrid I was bothered by gophers, deer, bunnies you name it I had them. Once the dog started spending time outside with me gardening the culprits disappeared. My brother inlaw had a racoon and a marmute type of animal that was snitching and destroying his gardens so I brushed the dog and sent him some hair and problem was taken care of.   Hope you can try this.

2013-08-01T19:14:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Canoerick Soil Stomper

Canoerick

If you can't find a Wolf Hybrid dog, a 22 cal will work relly good on the critters; and fried squirrel is great!

2013-08-18T01:46:44.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Zazzamatazz

Zazzamatazz

We had the same problem but we put a fence all around the garden & made sure the base was high & put screening all around

that seemed to help also we used horse manure to fertizler the garden before planting so maybe that helped as we had a

great crop this year & still getting tomatoes.

2013-09-21T04:12:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

gardenladyinNC

Instead of cat litter, put your CAT outside.  No more squirrels!  This solved my problem immediately.

2013-10-10T15:40:47.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4