dinesh75 Seedling

dinesh75

Burpee Plants?

Hey guys, has anyone ordered live plants from Burpee? I ordered the roma super sauce plants. The first time they came, they were one of the saddest plants I had seen. Even after waiting, and then planting them outside, they are still so so droopy. I complained to the customer service, and they sent me another set of the same plants. These plants were even sadder than the first set! Two plants are almost dying (they are just drying up).

I actually had better luck starting my plants from seed. They came out very robust, and are doing so well in the garden. They all have started flowering and I expect fruits very soon.

I am just surprised at the quality of plants that burpee sent out. What has the typical experience been?

Thanks.

Views: 1212 Replies: 4 Date: 2013-06-16T18:40:17.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

towngardener

Re: Burpee Plants?

I have ordered lots of plants from Burpee, and had good results.  I ordered one set from another company once, and was shocked at how small and spindly they were.    I've ordered "Big Mama" roma tomatoes every year for three years with great success.  Also tried the "Supersauce" tomatoes this year.  One of three died, but the other two are doing great.  Have ordered peppers in the past as well.  The only trouble I ever had was my first set of yellow tomatoes--all the stems broke when I opened the package.  Burpee gracefully replaced them, only to have the same thing happen, then refunded my money.  I won't by from any other mail-order company.  I do buy small herbs locally so I don't have to pay for shipping, but they don't have sauce tomatoes.  My plants are usually 6-8" tall on arrival, and bushy.  They occasionally arrive a bit wilted, but I follow the instructions, and keep them on the kitchen counter out of direct sun until they recover in a day or two.  I harden them off for a few days, and out they go.

2013-06-21T13:57:19.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

LithoMan

LithoMan

I usually have way better luck with seeds then anything from Burpee. I do like the Burpee Walla Walla sets. I prefer the Burpee Walla Walla's. They taste the best and usually are the best growing. But, two years ago, I order my Walla Walla sets, lik eusual, and never received them. So, I wrote Burpee and complained, and they sent me yellow Onion sets, but they sure wern't Walla Walla's. I told myself, I will get burnt once, but the second time, shame on them. So, the counter is going for me. I love my onions, and if they cant get that right, forget it. I have order Blueberries from Burpee, and those plants were awesome. I have gotten burnt by many nursiers, so I guess all in all, Burpee is probably the best of them all. FOR live plants. Burpee seed department rocks. Never had a problem with a seed order. I live close to an awesome geenhouse that seels a flat of live plants for 11$. There is no way they can be beat. They have tomato's and practicaly anything else you can think of started. Even melons of various varieties.

2013-06-27T16:23:26.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

We are sorry to hear about you experience. If you can contact our  customer service at custservice@burpee.com or 1800-800-1447 so we may resolve this situation for you.

2013-07-29T15:19:45.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

tinygarden

I ordered plants for the first time this year as I wanted particular things I couldn't get locally. I ordered three grafted tomatoes, (no one here, SW OHIO was selling grafted plants) and then wanted another non-grafted variety that also wasn't being sold here. Because of pricing structure I had to order a pack of 3 vegetables so got 2 different pepper plants. All six plants arrived last Friday in beautiful condition. One of the grafted plants and one pepper was a little wilted but revived quickly; all were planted out yesterday (surviving the ministrations of a curious two-year-old!) and are in good condition this morning. If this is typical, I'll probably order plants again next year. I have limited space so starting my own seeds (which I did years ago) really isn't very practical now.

2014-05-05T16:09:57.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4