burpee Garden Guru

burpee

2013 Herb Garden Photo Contest!

It's that time of year!

Post photos of your herb garden (below this post) for a chance to win a Burpee Gift Card.  Let us know what herbs you're growing!

-First prize receives a $100 Burpee Gift Card

-Second prize receives a $50 Gift Card

-Third prize receives a $25 Gift Card

*RULES*:

Must be a Backyard community member.

Must be 18 to enter.

Must not be an employee, affiliated with or relative of Burpee or Burpee Home Gardens.

Burpee's panel of judges will determine the winners.

You can only enter the contest once.

ENTRY DATES RUN FROM JUNE 17 - JULY 5, 2013 11:59pm EST.  WINNERS WILL BE CONTACTED ON OR AROUND JULY 15, 2013.

Good Luck to all!

Views: 9209 Replies: 45 Date: 2013-06-14T17:34:30.000Z
Result Count: 45
  1  | 2| 3| Next

Tools

MikeyGoomba

Re: 2013 Herb Garden Photo Contest!

For some reason cant upload picture Just keeps giving me the loading image Circle

Edited: Adding my Photo

2013-06-17T13:17:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

mrsbrodie

mrsbrodie

This years herb garden has done well...I have learned not to let the mint overpower by planting it in containers around the garden instead of in it. And the best thing for the annuals is lots of good organic compost, my basil grows like a hedge. I also added comfry last year and it really helps to keep the garden healthier. Even weeding here is great because of the wonderful smell.

2013-06-18T01:44:00.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

cheryl

Would not let me upload a pic. Frown

2013-06-19T22:48:43.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

lv2grdn

I'd like to enter but my garden is a combination of herb and vegetables.  I'm growing the pink sunflowers Burpee's has as well as the new on deck hypbrid corn - will my garden count?

2013-06-20T00:02:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

donnak

donnak

The first photo is of my last year's Herb Spiral - it is in the beginning stages this year!  I have Sage, Parsley, Cilantro, Basil, Chamomile, Thyme and many other herbs, flowers in my herb garden.  This spiral is located in the NE corner of my veggie garden!

The second photo is what the Spiral looks like so far this year!  The sage and chives have returned and are beginning to flower; the amaranth is new this year.  Several volunteers are peeking about:  ferny dill, cilantro and others.  We are really enjoying all the new flavors in our food with the addition of tasty herbs!

2013-06-20T02:30:44.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

GraemePark

GraemePark

Our herb garden at Graeme Park. We grow medicinals such as fox glove, borage, and bee balm; culinary herbs such as chives, sage, and mint; scented geraniums, lambs ear so we can tell the kids who visit us about 18th century toilet paper, and more!

Herb Garden and Summer Kitchen at Graeme Park

2013-06-22T13:46:08.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

GraemePark

GraemePark

Those having trouble with photos - host the photo somewhere else (Photobucket, etc) and use the picture icon at the top to link to it and size it. Or perhaps try a different browser - the upload photo button didn't work for me either in IE.

2013-06-22T13:49:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Patito4

how do I post a photo of my garden?

2013-06-22T23:28:43.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

lv2grdn

Burpees Herb Garden Entry

2013-06-23T17:47:55.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

lv2grdn

^^^ My garden is posted above - it wouldn't let me type as well as add a picture. My garden is a combination of a vegetable and herb garden.   My garden is a container garden and it shows what you can grow in a small space with only containers to work with. It could just as easliy be grown on a balcony as it is grown here.  It shows that no matter where you live you can have a nice vegetable and herb garden.  I am growing several of Burpees new varieties this year, including your on-deck hybrid corn and pink sunflowers.  Both are coming up fine in pots with tomato cages.  I have some corn already on the stalks.

As for my herb garden it is a diabetic's herb garden.  Some of the herbs I grow are meant to lower blood sugar as well as taste good, so I grow basil, stevia, bitter melon, fenugrek in addition to more common herbs like mint, cilantro, parsley, sage, lavender and oregano.  They're not herbs but I also grow edible nasturtium, which is good for inflammation, and garlic and onions.  All are said to lower blood sugar.  I am able to grow all of them in containers.  I'm even growing potatoes in large pots.

2013-06-23T18:02:48.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

JennaJones

These are the herbs I keep by my kitchen door. After doing this a few years I learned that having the most used ones close at hand is the best bet.

Some herbs

This is a view of my garden where I grown many herbs like bee balm, lavender, oreganos, basil, chives ect.

View of my garden

This is a image of the garden roof we put on our chicken coop where we grow herbs like mint. We also grow flowers to attract bees and butterfly's to the vegetable garden.

Best fertilizer and eggs around :)

My vegtable GardenMy hens

I plant herbs everywhere in my garden..even in my chicken coop for my hens to enjoy. My favorite is our new garden roof on our chicken coops which holds lots of mint and oregano as well as pretty flowers to attract bees to the garden.

To the left you see a upside down old train table I filled with herbs the hens like, add the water system I built and then wired it in..now when it over grows the hens get a treat and peck away at herbs.

Garden roof

2013-06-24T04:44:40.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Hoosier

Hoosier

I started this herb garden for my wife this spring of 2013.  It has 32 different culinary herbs growing.   Because of it, we are having new kinds of and more flavorful breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.  Shown in the photo is "The Mad Hatter's Herbal Tea Party" that I placed in the center of the herb garden.

2013-06-24T09:31:31.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

zfamilia

zfamilia

My husband built this for me of redwood just outside my kitchen door.  convenience means it is used ALL the time- lots of new and wild flavors going on at our house!  the pot in the middle is full of strawberries- out of reach of our dog who adores them.  I have several perrenials- tarragon, italian parlsey, onion chives, garlic chives, marjoram, oregano, sage, english thyme and lemon thyme and some annual herbs (in my zone) rosemary, garlic, shallots, cinnamon basil, purple basil, plain basil.  I am always on the lookout for something new to pop in it.

2013-06-24T18:33:41.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Kytravelers

Kytravelers

This is our first herb garden at our new home (with a few transplants from our old place).  Small but packed with lots of basil, oregano, rosemary, savory, sage, lavender, lemon verbena, dill, cilantro, chamomile, sage and more!

2013-06-24T22:29:14.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

lbgardener

We used tree rings to make our herb garden. My mathematical husband says it's an ellipse cycloid.  I grow orange mint, citrus marigold, sage, lemon verbena, thyme, lemon thyme, lime creeping thyme, chives, garlic chives, bronze fennel, & oregano in it.  Even though I've had it for years, it's always a work in progress trying to keep the invasives at bay.

herb garden

2013-06-25T01:24:21.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Mobkey7887

2 small rustic herb garden

I have 2 small herb gardens. One has annuals, oregano, thyme, sage and chives with some fresh summer herbs in pots. I also like to keep them in containers by the door for easy access in cooking and the great smell as you enter the house :)

2013-06-25T15:32:34.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

maroongirl

This is my first attempt at a patio herb garden - I am growing boxwood basil, commom sage, purple sage, oregano, rosemary, lemon thyme, flat leaf parsely, and cilantro with a couple of leeks in the center in one large pot.  So far, so good!

2013-06-25T20:29:16.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

kkahle

Here is a picture of my herb garden by my back door & patio. I grow and use all of the herbs  in my cooking.  I am a avid cook. Also I have nine raised garden beds. I also keep bees and 50 feet from the Herb garden are 2 bee hives in my back yard. Also built into the patio is a fish pond. I live in the middle of the town. 

Back Door Herb Garden

2013-06-26T17:58:38.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

C21Millrlt

I live in (WAY) upstate NY, about 20 miles from Canadian border.  Our gardens go in early June, so mine is really just starting.  Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Lavender, Sage, Peppermint, Chives, Rosemary, Parsley, and my favorite, Cilantro.  

2013-06-29T13:42:33.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

HemlockGarden

HemlockGarden

We live in western Maine & love our gardens!  Wish we had a longer season....

2013-07-01T11:57:33.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 45
  1  | 2| 3| Next