GramJean Seedling

GramJean

Garden Help

Does anyone have any ideas how to prevent the deer from eating my fruit trees.  I have newly planted 4 fruit trees.  They are to tall for a fence around they, yet short enough the deer can get to them.  My apples tree was covered with blossoms the first night we had it planted.  Next morning it was practically bare.  I live in a small town surrounded by woods.  We not allowed to use a B-B gun or pellet gun to stum them.  It seems they come thru around three in the morning.  I've tried deer spray and marigolds, but not a hugh success yet.

I also have fout tomoato plants I have kept on my front porch.  Three are covered with blossoms, with the exception of the grape tomato. This is the first time I have tried the grape.  Do they need something different.?

Any advice will be appreciated.   Thanks.

Views: 1474 Replies: 6 Date: 2013-06-11T23:42:08.000Z
Result Count: 6

Tools

iaff113 Soil Stomper

iaff113

Re: Garden Help

I did fence around mine consisting of a bunch of 2 dollar posts at Lowe's a roll  of American wire (the cheap kind i think i payed 50 cents a foot) then bent shelf braces and put them at the top of all the posts and ran wire around them, pretty much the same concept you see at a jail at the top of the fence also you will need 8 foot posts. its not to expensive and keeps everyone and everything out.

2013-06-13T12:17:27.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

towngardener

Fence around them, at least 3' from tree, and slant the fence outwards 1-2' at the top.  The fence should be at least 8' tall

2013-06-21T13:59:42.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

LithoMan

LithoMan

Don't get too excited. I found out when i planted my fruit trees, the deer would eat them, when they were small, and chew the wood branches down to stubs. Now, after about 7 years they are producing some fruits, but now it is coons. Last year both of my peach trees were ravaged by coons, they got in there and broke brqanches down and stripped it clean. So, just wanted you too be aware of that since you said you have woods surrounding you, like I do. So, it won't just be deer you will have to worry about. I took more drastic and permanent measures. People don't hunt like they used too in past years.

2013-06-27T16:14:42.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

SuperC

SuperC

I know for young pine trees being planted out west, they used an egg and water mixture(mixed very well) and then put into a pump sprayer. The mixture will need to be thin enough to go through the nozzle. But spray on the tree, probably at least once a week. The eggs will start to smell and the deer will leave them alone. At least that is how they corrected the issue with pine trees.

2013-07-15T21:12:15.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

tracy111

You say you live in a small town, I also live in a small town and was bothered by the deer sampling everything until I bought a wolf hybrid.  The smell of her being out in the yard with me when I garden has run them off along with the gophers, rabbits the whole works. If you can find someone who owns one just get some of the dogs hair and hang it in some panty hose in the yard and when the wind blows so does the scent. My brother inlaw had racoons and other varmits causing problems and so he tried this and they are gone.

2013-08-01T19:21:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

RoughBrothers

RoughBrothers

You can use Greenhouse or Greenhouse Equipments to prevent the deer from eating your fruit trees.

2013-11-12T14:56:54.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 6