burpee Garden Guru

burpee

Good bugs!

This week we're taking a turn and want to know what you like about the 'good bugs' in your garden.

Butterflies, ladybugs... what are some of your favorites to see around?  How do you attract the good bugs to your garden?

Views: 1383 Replies: 2 Date: 2013-05-28T17:02:35.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

Wilson

Wilson

Re: Good bugs!

I enjoy butterflies and the challenge of photographing them.  I try to encourage  plants and shrubs that they like to visit.  I allow milkweed to grow since the monarks like to feed on it during a certain stage of their development.

When I find a praying mantis cocoon in the field, I bring it home and place it near my garden where it can hatch  and clear my garden of other insects harmful to my vegetables.

2013-05-28T23:02:38.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Sallyintucson

Sallyintucson

Re: Good bugs!

I got hooked on Mason Bees a few years ago. There's plenty of information online to tell you where to buy the cocoons and what type is right for your area. You can also put up housing (don't forget the mud - I use a very fine germinating soil) and see what moves in.  I found it easier to order cocoons for my area to get started. Check on line for pictures and you will find that mason bees live all over the Americas (unlike European Honey Bees) and are not in danger of dying out.

2013-08-03T18:50:20.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2