Denise48 Seedling

Denise48

Tomatoes

Looking forward to planting tomatoes and Tomatoe season. But, I've had trouble with them. My plants start off beautiful, then something happens and the leaves get brown and the crop not the best.

Views: 1212 Replies: 2 Date: 2013-05-06T01:35:29.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

hessianguy

hessianguy

Re: Tomatoes

I think I could help you better if I could know your location/climate and whether you are growing your tomatoes in the ground or in containers. Nevertheless, here goes:

The great majority of tomato problems are related to inadequate or unhealthy root systems. The most common cause of root system failure is disease, such as the fungal diseases: verticillium wilt and fusarium wilt, as well as nemotodes. The best way to combat these is to plant disease resistant varieties and to rotate your crops so that you don't grow solanaceae family plants in the same ground within 3 years of each other. Another problem could be improper pH, since tomatoes prefer acid soil. Tomatoes can also suffer from too much water or too little, or two much variation between the two. Tomatoes prefer consistant "even moisture", not too much, not too little, and tomato plants attempt to achieve this balance by sending their roots down deeply in the soil. For this reason, tomatoes really respond well to being deeply dug, even as deeply as 2 feet down if you can manage it. I get my best tomato crops from deeply dug beds in which a lot of oganic matter has been added in, as well as a source of calcium such as bone meal (to prevent blossom end rot). Mulching on top also prevents weeds and adds to the consistent moisture that tomatoes love. Excessive afternoon sun can be a problem in hot climates, so some afternoon shade can also be helpful. If you are growing in containers then the same principles apply. The bigger and deeper the container, the better. Tomatoes are large plants with even larger root systems and they do NOT like to be crowded by too small of a container or competing against other plants, including other tomato plants. (My guess is that your tomato plants probably simply outgrew their growing space.)

Good luck

2013-05-06T18:23:01.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

Re: Tomatoes

Is it early blight? If so, your plants may be spaced to close or be getting too wet.  You can try a copper spray early in the season for some degree of prevention.

2013-08-17T18:55:00.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2