burpee Garden Guru

burpee

Tomato Tips!

Watering:

Tomatoes need even watering to prevent blossom end rot.  Water thoroughly but not too often (twice per week should suffice at first) and try to water early in the day so that plants will dry off before the evening.  This helps to reduce disease problems. 

Support:

For maximum tomato yields, always stake or cage your plants.  Emerging fruits will benefit from improved air circulation and less ground pest problems. 

Early Pest Prevention:

Wrap the tomato stems with a piece of cardboard or wax paper that extends an inch above and below the soil to protect them from cutworms.  A regular office stapler can be used to secure the material in a circle.  After the stems toughen up in 3-4 weeks, cutworm damage will no longer be a concern and the paper will have rotted away. 

Do you have any tomato tips to share with us?

Views: 1911 Replies: 3 Date: 2013-04-24T12:51:43.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

KateCopsey Soil Stomper

KateCopsey

Re: Tomato Tips!

If we get a hot summer last year, remember that tomatoes to not set bloom when the temperature zaps up to 90-95f!with very warm sticky nights  - I don't think even the bugs are out at that temperature either.

Also check the tomatoes each morning as the season goes on - horn worms can do alot of damage in just a few hours!!

2013-04-24T18:31:04.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

FlyingVGoddess

I read this tip in a recent garden magazine I got that I thought was neat: To make your cardboard cutworm collars last longer, dip them in melted parafin wax.

My personal tomato tip: Last year I broke off one of the tops of my tomato seedlings about a couple weeks before going into the ground. Knowing that tomato stems will grow their own roots if buried I took the broken stem and buried the end in a couple inches of seed starting mix. It did grow its own roots and by the time the tomatoes went into the ground you couldn't tell which plant had been the broken stem. My tomato seedlings are not doing so great this year so as back up, rather than buying 12 new plants, I saved money by buying just one tomato plant (picking the healthiest looking one with lots of stems), cutting off the thickest stems, and burying the stems in seed starting mix. This may come in handy for those who buy their own plants instead of starting them indoors but need a lot of tomato plants.  

2013-05-01T05:07:28.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

BrittW

Tomatoes are easy enough to grow, but they do benefit from frequent check-ins. When it's not too rainy or wet, I check mine almost daily throughout the growing season. It only takes me about 20 minutes each day, before or after work, and I get to assess the soil moisture, pull a few weeds, watch for diseases/pests, and untangle their vines and train them up their stakes/cages. Plus, I would swear that my plants almost lean towards me or "reach out" towards me when I am out there with them. Maybe they just like the extra CO2 I give off, but I like to think that they know me!Smile

2013-08-11T02:44:03.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3