linebb956 Soil Stomper

linebb956

South Texas Heat!

I need advice on plants.. flower and veggies for the south Texas heat.  I know it is too late to do a veggie garden this year... but it seems no matter what we plant.. the heat kills it.  Want flowers.. not just folage.  We now have planted sweet potato vine.. vincas .. Just built a house so we are starting from scratch...  

Views: 1765 Replies: 2 Date: 2013-04-23T03:59:28.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

hessianguy

hessianguy

Re: South Texas Heat!

Hello, I lived in San Antonio for 3 years when I was on active duty in the USAF. I don't see where your exact location is but I presume it is similar. There are several things you should be aware of when attempting to garden in South Texas. First of all, the soil is extremely alkaline. Most plants prefer slightly acidic soil, so simply adjusting the pH will do wonders. Secondly, the soil where I lived was a slimy sticky black clay that was almost impenetrable for most plants' roots. In order to have a decent vegetable garden, I ordered a dumptruck load of builder's sand, (literally) and had it dumped onto my garden site. I spread it out into a three inch layer and then tilled it into the black clay to a depth of 8 inches or so. I also added a huge amount of Canadian spagnum peat moss. It was kind of expensive to go to such lengths, but I then had a wonderful vegetable garden. (I am a fanatical gardener). The last thing that I should add is that attempting to garden in July and the first 3/4 of August is nearly hopeless. But the rest of the year is great if you get the other factors right. Even when my tomatoes were deeply dug and irrigated with drip irrigation, they just burned up in July and August. I did find that planting tomatoes against an east or southeast facing wall or fence so that they only got morning sun was the trick, with protection from the blistering afternoon sun. The neatest thing about South Texas vegetable gardening is that you can grow cool season vegetables all winter long with excellent results. Such vegetables include the cabbage family, mustard, lettuce, carrots, radishes, beets, spinach, potatoes, peas, onions and garlic, and even artichokes. These can be planted in late August and September and harvested all winter until late April-early May. Your usual summer type vegetables such as corn, beans, squash, tomatoes, peppers, etc. should be planted in early to mid March and harvested by late June. I just left my garden dormant during July and August. You can also grow summer type vegetables from late August until mid November.

P. S. Vincas and Portulaca are among the few flowers that will do well in South Texas, but as always, only if you prepare the soil correctly.

Good Luck.

2013-04-24T02:41:42.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

linebb956 Soil Stomper

linebb956

Re: South Texas Heat!

Thanks for the reply!  I live all the way down by Brownsville.  It is too late to plant much now.. and if we don't get rain soon won't be able to next year as they will shut off my irrigation.  

I will try the sand.. and make sure it is builders sand as before we moved I did not state that and they brought me sand that was salty and it killed almost everything but the tomatoes.  Could not grow a green bean at all!

Again.. thanks!  Appreiciate it.  Sounds like you really put some hard labor into gardening in the San Antonio area.. And also.. 

THANKS FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY!

Linda

2013-04-24T04:29:45.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2