KC,MoGardenGal Seedling

KC,MoGardenGal

Tomato Blossom End Rot

Hi, everyone!  What is that powder that is dusted on the soil to prevent tomato blossom-end rot?  I've tried spraying fungicides on the plants over the years, but I still lose a lot of tomatoes because of that darned B.E.R.  Any other ideas?  I'm anxiously awaiting your suggestions! 

Views: 2102 Replies: 3 Date: 2013-04-20T04:17:04.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

westernNYguy Soil Stomper

westernNYguy

Re: Tomato Blossom End Rot

I did two things and seem to have Blossom End Rot fairly under control.  The problem seems to be two fold - some  varieties are more susceptible then others - mine was a problem in roma type tomatoes and the second problem was a need for calcium by the plant.  Prior to planting i now spread the sanding dust prior to planting - obtained  from a person that uses a dry wall sander.. Scattering a few hand fulls every few feets has eliminated the BER problem for me..  This year i have a new problem involving late blight.  I carefully disposed of all plants via a land fill and not in my compost pile.  I'm suspicious I brought the problem in via bedding plant flowers planted near by the tomato plants. Anyone have an indeterminate tomato plant that is resistant to late blight... Thanks for any advice. 

2013-12-14T23:47:09.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

CLCulp

CLCulp

My thoughts, Try some epsom salt; this will clear the plants digestive system and allow it to intake the minerals already in Your soil. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, and use about 1 tbsp mixed with a cup of water per plant. The plants need calcium to prevent Blossom end rot. Please have Your soil tested for deficiencies.

2013-04-20T11:16:01.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

hessianguy

hessianguy

Tomato blossom end rot has been shown beyond a shadow of a doubt to be due to Calcium deficiency. You can prevent this by mixing crushed limestone (CaCO3) or bone meal Ca2PO4OH) into your soil before planting your tomatoes. If you have already planted your tomatoes and don't want to dig them up again, then I have heard that feeding them with skim milk or lime water (Ca(OH)2) will help a lot, although I have never tried this myself.

2013-04-22T03:50:42.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3