Canoerick Soil Stomper

Canoerick

Broccoli or Brussel Sprouts

I'm starting some plants from seeds and I've planted both Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts.  The seedlings of these two plants appear to be identical.  The seeds looked pretty close to the same.  Does the photo help?

Thanks

Views: 1661 Replies: 2 Date: 2013-04-17T02:25:39.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

KateCopsey Soil Stomper

KateCopsey

Re: Broccoli or Brussel Sprouts

Ah the beauty of labels! I hate to tell you this but as they are both in the same family as cabbage - the cole family - you will not see very much difference for several weeks. Luckily they both enjoy the same growing conditions but the broccoli will start to put up a green head which is harvested earlier than the Brussel Sprouts. Brussels take a little longer then the sprouts form on the outside of the stem toward fall. They will not be ready until close to frost and taste sweeter after the first hard frost of the season.

2013-04-19T18:49:10.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

hessianguy

hessianguy

Re: Broccoli or Brussel Sprouts

I agree that labeling is so important. Both of these are in the cabbage family(Brassicas) so they look very much alike. I can tell you that broccoli has a more teardrop shaped leaf with a more bluish color. Brussels sprouts have a more circular leaf and has a more yellow-green color. I hope this helps.

2013-04-22T03:58:25.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2