PamInOhio Soil Stomper

PamInOhio

"Growing Concern" email

This message is for "Mr. Ball" who authored the "growing concern" email sent to Burpee customers' email list today.  Mr. Ball - your email of your own personal opinion on politics, administration and society was COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE and UNWELCOMEMr. Ball - you have completely abused the customer relationship afforded to you as the owner of Burpee's

This message was so incredibly inappropriate for you to send to the customer email list of Burpee’s.  I expect Burpee seed emails, Burpee plant emails, special discounts on garden items, etc.  I am very fond of Burpee’s as a well-established garden and vegetable supply company.

But, using the Burpee customer email list to spout your clearly very personal and critical views of government, administration, the economy, etc. is absolutely inappropriate and quite unwelcome.  I cannot stress this enough to you.  If I want vitriolic expounding on the state of the nation or economy, I will access news and blogging sites.  I do NOT expect to nor care to receive it from Burpee’s, my supplier of tomato plants, cucumber seeds, etc.

I am seriously so offended by this communication that, after over 20 years as a customer, I will stop ordering my annual garden items from Burpee’s.

How do you feel you have the right to express your personal opinions on politics to Burpee customers?

Views: 2405 Replies: 8 Date: 2013-04-03T14:56:06.000Z
Result Count: 8

Tools

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

Re: "Growing Concern" email

I will have to agree with PamimOhio on this one. This email should have never been sent to customers of a company. We as customers agreed to receive emails from Burpee, which have to do with gardening. We did not sign on to receive rants from Mr. Ball. If Mr. Ball wants to take one definition for a word from all the definitions in the dictionary. That is up to him, but I would really not like to read it. 

2013-04-03T20:30:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

gobbledeegouk

gobbledeegouk

I immediately forwarded the email back to burpee customer service and voiced my concern for what I considered political spam. I am offended by the email. It is seriously bad business to express your views like this with customers and/or employees. 

2013-04-03T21:54:51.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

RockinNM

RockinNM

When I first read this strange email I thought it was an April Fools joke even though it arrived in my mail box on 4/2. But maybe it really is a comment from some wacko political wing nut. It is so hard to tell the difference. But I'll keep buying my seeds from Burpee. My seed trays look beautiful right now.

2013-04-04T00:11:17.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

HawaiiGardens

HawaiiGardens

I totally agree.  At first I thought the Burpee site might have been hacked and someone was having a field day with the Burpee mailing list but apparently that is not the case.  As a very long-time Burpee customer I am quite dismayed that the mailing list was used in such a manner.  Totally inappropriate and very unwelcome.  My gardening hobby is my refuge, sometimes, from the madness of the world and to have a blatant political message sent under the guise of a gardening newsletter is not something I ever imagined would happen, especially with such a respected company as Burpee's.  I have always looked forward to the Burpee catalog and emails but now?  Not so much.  In fact, if I see an "iffy" title on an incoming Burpee newsletter email in the future I think I'll just delete it.

2013-04-04T05:38:10.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Sheeprancher

Sheeprancher

I actually liked the email. This was my first year ordering from Burpee because they came out with their "purple" strawberry. But I didn't order until I had done my research & saw that Burpee is non-gmo. I had figured for many years that burpee was just another front company for large agribusiness so for me, it was kind of nice to see that Burpee isn't just like all the rest who are just out for your money. I sure wouldn't mind seeing more emails like this & will probably be ordering from Burpee more in the future.

2013-04-04T13:46:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

suzyQtoo Soil Stomper

suzyQtoo

I could not figure this one either.  I responded to the email as such, but never received a reply indicating why this was sent.  Glad I found this forum to see that I am not the only one confused by this.

2013-04-11T11:10:44.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

hessianguy

hessianguy

I personally think that email was sent by a hacker, not Burpee. I wouldn't take it out on Burpee until proven to be from them.

2013-04-24T17:35:52.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

PamInOhio

Regarding whether this email was sent by a hacker or was actually from Burpee's?  I called Burpee customer service the day that I received the growing concern email.  The customer service agent confirmed that the email was indeed the Burpeee newsletter sent by the president of Burpee's.  She said that they had received many calls about it.  It was not a hack, per Burpee's.

2013-04-24T18:34:30.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 8