valeden11800 Seedling

valeden11800

Easy Kids Gardening suggestions

This year we moved into a house that we can actually start a garden! We are super excited and I want to find easy successful fruits/vegetables for my kids to grow. Here is the list:

strawberries, carrots, lettuce, spinach, tomato, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkin, berries (blue, black, raspberry), cucumber, peas, cauliflower (yes, my son asked for cauliflower), broccoli, scallions, rosemary, thyme, sage, mint, parsley

Any recommendations on the above to start with that will show them how rewarding gardening can be would be greatly appreciated!

Views: 1412 Replies: 2 Date: 2013-04-01T23:34:52.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

KateCopsey Soil Stomper

KateCopsey

Re: Easy Kids Gardening suggestions

strawberries, carrots, lettuce, spinach, tomato, watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkin, berries (blue, black, raspberry), cucumber, peas, cauliflower (yes, my son asked for cauliflower), broccoli, scallions, rosemary, thyme, sage, mint, parsley

Of your list the veggies seem great ones to start with and maybe add some kale, summer squash and chards for color. Depending on where you are located, you will have the option of plants or seeds for the melons - they take a long season and heat to mature, so the further north you are the less time they have and plants are a better option.  The berries fruit on yr 2 wood so depending on how old your plants are, you may not get the fruit this year. I confess to not being successful with cauliflower - but it is worth giving it a shot. The herbs look good just remember to keep the mint in a container so that it doesn't take over the neighborhood. Good Luck and enjoy your garden!

2013-04-05T13:33:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

Re: Easy Kids Gardening suggestions

I would make sure to do cauliflower since he asked for it. In fact the list you have is a very good list to do with kids. The berries will not be a fast plant to harvest, in fact you will not get any berries first year. The mint can get out of hand, then you have it everywhere. Tomatoes, carrots, and cucumbers are always good with the kids. My daughter enjoyed it all while she was growing up.

2013-04-01T23:49:05.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2