sandman55 Seedling

sandman55

can i get some help

im new at reasbed gardening and not shar if im doing it right do i need to put land sacp fabrek down frist im use 2x12 for the beds if you can help me i woud be thank ful to you im doing a organic gardening

Views: 1393 Replies: 5 Date: 2013-03-31T08:16:38.000Z
Result Count: 5

Tools

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

Re: can i get some help

You don't need to put down fabric first the sod will die off. If you go to YouTube and search for building a raised bed garden you will find some helpful videos. Some people say don't use treated lumber and some say it is ok. You will have to decide about that yourself. I use treated lumber. 

2013-03-31T13:05:02.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

KateCopsey Soil Stomper

KateCopsey

I don't like landscape fabric and don't use it under the raised beds either. If your beds are shallow and you think you need to cover the ground first, put some flat cardboard or landscape paper (decomposes quickly) or even a thick layer of newspaper (6-10 sheets).

2013-04-05T13:18:40.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

McNurdy

First, congratulations on your decision to raise vegetables.  By now, you have probably set up your garden but I wanted to add a comment that might help others reading this.  If you do not want to go the fabric route, it is still good to put something over the weeds and grass.  Highly recommend cardboard! Weeds cannot grow through the cardboard.  Crabgrass is another story, it will grow through the soil and cardboard with ease.  Keep an eye out for crabgrass sprouts and just keep pulling them.  There are two other things to watch for when you put a raised garden directly on existing yard.  1) The soil under the raised bed is firmly packed so when you water your garden that water will go through the new loose garden soil and when it hits the packed soil will drain out under the boards.  You may have to water a little more than normal.  2) Any weed seeds dropped in 2013 were in that soil and are now under your soil.  If you rototill next spring those seeds will be stirred up and come to life.  [I never rototill as it hurts the sustainability of the soil (organics) but use a garden fork to loosen the soil.]  Using a garden fork, shovel, or hoe to turn the existing soil means healthy soil and won't bring those 2013 weed seeds up.

Most important - have fun with your garden!  All the things I just wrote above - I did not do in my first garden(s) and that is one reason I know what can happen.  Today, I've got a wonderful garden (still make mistakes) but I keep at it and the joy I get from it is priceless.  I do not work for Burpee but can honestly say they have repeatedly bailed me out of disaster through all my trials and gardening disasters.  If you have a problem, the Burpee site will probably have a solution.

2013-04-22T11:23:26.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

JHomer2172

JHomer2172

Check out the "Square foot gardening" book. It's my first year and its going well so far with three 4'X4'X12" plots and one 4X8 got sweet potatoes from Burpee. I used untreated lumber and weed cloth on the bottom. I also have tomatoes and peppers in 90% of my front yard flower garden.im using the books mix of 1/3 peat, 1/3 compost and 1/3 vermiculite ( used perlite, it's half the cost) and composting for next year. I gardened for years in row gardens and hated it with all the work from roto tilling to weeding and only using half the space growing too much and using too much seed! This looks good so far! Good luck. 

2013-06-08T11:43:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

LithoMan

LithoMan

I do truck patches. I don't do raised beds. I have built cold frames, and the one thing I do want to mention you should seriously think of stapling chicken wired to the BOTTOM of your frame. It will keep chipmunks from tunneling through your dirt. My first one, I put the back of the cold frame to the back of the barn, and put a old screen door on top of the frame. It kept everything out of the box, except the chipmunks that tunneled in. Now, I put chicken wire over the bottom of any raised box I build. It makes you stay with the same dimensions of boxes, but I will pay that price to keep the critters out of the box.

2013-06-27T16:34:11.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 5