flarandy Seedling

flarandy

Insecticide

I am new to veg. gardening and would like to know what might be best used and stil end up with organic crops, Do Lady bugs work? I have heard the just leave the area too quickly, Diatomacious earth? I have been told just veg. oil and dish soap? and there is a Fungual product out my garden shop says is problem free but I read you have to wait a few days before harvesting crops to us this? does that mean it is not safe?     Thanks for any help, Flarandy

Views: 1249 Replies: 3 Date: 2013-03-26T16:53:08.000Z
Result Count: 3

Tools

KateCopsey Soil Stomper

KateCopsey

Re: Insecticide

There are two attacks to use for pests - preventative and responsive. For instance cut worms love new seedlings, so a tube around the seedlings helps to avoid that problem (inner tube from a bathroom tissue rolls or kitchen town roll work well). Cabbage moths/insects zoom in as soon as you put little cabbage plants into the ground so a light cover when you plant these helps to prevent that happening.

If you do find an issue - take the time to find out what it is and assess how much damage you can absorb. A monarch butterfly caterpiller on one plant is worth leaving, hormworms on tomato plants is not. Bigger things like bean beetles etc can be hand picked. Aphids etc can be dislodged with a strong stream of water but sometimes you really need a spray - for little insects anyway. There are several on the market that are based on oils from herbs and fruits that you can use. If you want the spray to be totally organic look for the OMRI tag on it, but many are basically natural even though they are not labeled for organic certification.

2013-04-17T13:58:14.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

jaylisa

jaylisa

Hi

I was just talking to my friend about an hour ago about this.  She said she had a bush attacked by aphids and she bought ladybugs.... She said it works. 

2013-04-13T02:37:43.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

First you need to know what you are treating against before you can decide what to use. Once you have a problem you can aher how to solve it, or google how to fix it organically. You don't really want to treat for something you don't have. If you wanted to try to prevent cut worms on your plants and ask that question I am sure you will get lots of different ideas. Some people will say to put a milk carton collar around your transplant, I use a piece of PVC, because I can reuse it every year. 

2013-03-31T13:55:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 3