MinaMusser Soil Stomper

MinaMusser

I need growlight advice

For the very first time I am starting seeds indoors and using a grow light - Do I keep this light on 24x7, or turn it off in the morning?  I'm a total newb at this indoor thing.   Help please!

Views: 1030 Replies: 2 Date: 2013-03-24T01:13:16.000Z
Result Count: 2

Tools

CLCulp

CLCulp

Re: I need growlight advice

16 hours a day or less, is my thoughts. And if You have Your plants in a sunny window You do not need the full 16 hours of growlight. The growlights should be 2-4 inches over Your plants, then as Your plants grow raise the growlight.

There are videos on Youtube where You can find fellow gardeners that are using growlights.

We used a simple desk lamp with soft light turning it on when We awoke at 5ish and turn it off at bedtime. We alternate the plants through this type of light after germination to about three weeks then place them in a sunny window, then prepare them for outdoors with placing the plants outside a little (an hour or two) each day increasing the time (three or four hours) as the plants respond. We believe this is called "hardening off", and gets them ready for planting. 

Our windows on the south side were full of plants, but now as weather permits We are hardening them off. Smile

Hope this helps. All in all have FUN !

2013-03-24T13:01:46.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

MinaMusser

Re: I need growlight advice

Thank you CLCulp!  Your information is indeed very helpful!  I usually spend a buttload of money at Lowes and settle with their selection of tomatos and herbs - Buying my own seeds let me pick what I want to plant - Now I am just trying to avoid killing them.

Thanks again  Cool

2013-03-24T23:35:27.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 2