Sprout22 Green Thumb

Sprout22

Container Garden

Just would like to know how many out there will be doing container gardening this year:) 

Views: 2888 Replies: 12 Date: 2013-03-15T17:45:52.000Z
Result Count: 12

Tools

PuddleSplasher

Re: Container Garden

I'll be container gardening this year. I live in an apartment and have a balcony on which I try to grow a variety of herbs, vegetables, and flowers. Unfortunately, I've had trouble with spider mites and aphids in past years, and I've had little luck controlling them. Any ideas would definitely welcome. 

2013-03-18T03:35:07.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

ElginGardener

Try planting some Marigolds with your tomatoes. It adds some color all while keeping bugs away without chemicals.  I plant them all over my garden and rarely have bug problems.  Many commercial pesticides use extract from marigold as the main active ingredient (along with other nasty things you don't want on your tomatoes).

2013-03-31T15:26:29.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

ElginGardener

I've often grown tomatoes in containers even though I have a back yard garden.  This year I think I'm going to try a DIY self watering 5 gallon bucket. 

2013-03-31T15:27:51.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

Sprout22

Elgingardener is right about Marigolds for pest control. My husband and I have a plot every year with our community garden here in Wood Village Oregon. We had a very successful crop of tomotoes:) I would load you a picture but it would not let me load one.

2013-03-31T17:37:38.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

I will be doing a mix of container and raised bed gardening this year.

2013-03-31T22:18:16.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

jaylisa

jaylisa

My friend and I are going to try this year. I almost got the seeds from the website but couldnt wait and got the burpee seeds from the store. Smile

To Puddle Splasher.  I aways do marigolds by the tomatoes but I've done some research and it seems like the way to go is getting some ladybugs. They sell them at nurseries and places like Ace. 

Good luck everyone.

2013-04-11T05:26:18.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

gggardens63

gggardens63

Looking forward to growing a variety of veggies in containers this year.  Does anyone have a preferred soil mixture that works well?  I plan to grow tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, pole beans, zucchini, yellow squash, arugula, swiss chard, a mixture of salad greens, carrots, beets and maybe some scallions.  Always have an old wheelbarrow full of herbs.  So much fun!  I will definitely be looking into getting some ladybugs!  The biggest pests we deal with here are squirrels.

2013-04-30T14:21:52.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

FlyingVGoddess

Depends. I'm growing my own wedding flowers, but I'm not sure if they'll all fit in the garden plot I have at the community garden. So I may have to resort to come container gardening.

2013-04-30T20:49:21.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

ThatMarriedGuy

I doing all container right now at the house!  I just did some 5gal corn planting and have little things all over the house and yard.  I just did a container garden tour video on youtube (thatmarriedguy), hope you check it out!  Love to make some new friends on this forum and learn, I'm putting new to gardening in general but think I'm heading in the right direction!

2013-05-29T18:46:35.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Green Thumb

Sprout22

Welcome glad your here:)

2013-05-29T19:20:45.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

KarelG789 Soil Stomper

KarelG789

I am an Earthbox gardener and I have 10 Earthboxes and a few smaller containers.  I buy my vegetable and flower seeds primarily from Burpee.  I am currently growing Bell Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, Roma Tomatoes, Triple Treat Pumpkins, Bush Sugar Baby Watermelons, On Deck Corn, Bush Table Queen Acorn Squash, Early Polific Straight Neck Summer Squash, Marigolds, and Zinnias.  I use Burpee Pro Series Cages and the A-Frame Trellis.  The picture shows my garden as of June 8th.  I am waiting for germination of many plants so this picture mostly show the structure of my Earthbox garden.  I am in Zone 8A.

2013-06-10T15:21:43.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

EventHairandTan

EventHairandTan

Container Tomatoes, Beefsteak and Hybrid 100. 5 Gal buckets with Drip irrigation. 

2013-06-11T03:01:15.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 12