MaryA1330 Soil Stomper

MaryA1330

What's eating my garden?!

When I went out to water my garden last night, I found many plants have been eaten! Several of my larger unripened Solar Power tomatoes were snagged right off the vine, a number of almost-ready-to-be-picked Black Pearl cherry tomatoes are gone, and two of my pepper plants (Big Early and Better Belle) were eaten right off - leaves, stems, flowers and all! I can see right were the stems were gnawed off.

I've seen rabbits hopping around the backyard, but not too many deer. I feel that the pepper plants are too high for the rabbits, but I don't know what else could be eating my garden! HELP!

I've used some temporary "scarecrows" to keep the critters away and plan to fence the entire garden in tonight...but what else can I do? Any ideas?

Views: 2536 Replies: 4 Date: 2012-07-31T07:19:54.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Garden Guru

burpee

Re: What's eating my garden?!

You really have to be a detective, since deer, rabbits, moles, gophers, squirrels, skunks, voles,  raccoons, various birds, and groundhogs all will eat tomatoes and peppers ,and they always seem to know the ripe fruit.  There are repellants for different animals, but you need to figure out the animal. A good fence helps too. Look for paw prints and teeth marks and go out at night and at  dawn to try and figure out the pest.

2012-08-01T05:26:21.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

MaryA1330

Wow! I had no idea so many critters eat tomatoes. Do these animals also enjoy unripe tomatoes? I have seen coyotees in the backyard a few times - could those be the culprit?

I've installed a fence and will likely also use some home remedies to keep the animals away - like strips of material or tin foil tied to stakes to act as "scarecrows," and animal and human hair sprinkled around the garden.

Any other home remedies that have been successful? Please share!!

2012-08-01T14:15:16.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

MaryA1330

Wow! I had no idea so many critters eat tomatoes. Do these animals also enjoy unripe tomatoes? I have seen coyotees in the backyard a few times - could those be the culprit?

I've installed a fence and will likely also use some home remedies to keep the animals away - like strips of material or tin foil tied to stakes to act as "scarecrows," and animal and human hair sprinkled around the garden.

Any other home remedies that have been successful? Please share!!

2012-08-01T14:15:16.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Garden Guru

burpee

Coyotes are mainly a meat eater, however they will eat fruit and insects.

2012-08-02T05:23:15.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4