sdean7855 Soil Stomper

sdean7855

Are there any truly late blight resistant tomato?

Year after year, even with supposedly resistant varieties, I lose my plants a month into the season...with new pots, new soil,  I'm about to give up on growing tomatoes

Views: 1552 Replies: 4 Date: 2013-03-07T21:35:33.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

Soil Stomper

sdean7855

Re: Are there any truly late blight resistant tomato?

I grow tomatoes in deck containers.  Last year I bought new containers that I could bottom water, new soil, grew plants from seed (of 5 different varieties, early, beefsteak, cherry and plum) that were supposed to be late blight resistant, bottom watered them, had plenty of air around them, spray them with fungigcide (Bravo) and all of them developed late blight soon after the first run of tomatoes began to bear...one plum tomato lasted a little bit longer, but they all failed.  I'm about to give up on tomatoes

2013-04-22T15:53:02.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

KateCopsey Soil Stomper

KateCopsey

There are two tacks for you to deal with your problem - one is moisture and other is plant choice.

Late blight is invasive but like moist air so in a wet cool summer with lots of rain it thrives. There really is not much you can do about this unless you can drag the container into the dry. Keep the amount of water low and continue the watering from the bottom rather than over the leaves.

For plant choice, some do better than others but the new grafted tomatoes were developed to help with blights and other nasty problems. They do cost a little more, but if your problem kills the ones you have they are a great option to try. Note that they are more resiliant but not totally immune so you can still get blights but the chances are smaller, and the damage should not kill the plant.

2013-04-23T20:19:09.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

fredstir Soil Stomper

fredstir

1st. How are you watering?  drenching them or gently on the GROUND arond the base of plant. Blight is in the ground and transfers to the leaves close to the ground usually by you splashing dirt up on those leaves.  Solution:  Trim away all leaves near the ground for as much as a foot or so up the plant. your plants will look like some deadly disease attacked.  Uh-UH  Does wonders for them.    Mulch with straw etc.  Keep weeds  from popping up anywhere they can grow and touch the plant.  I use tons of free wood chips from nearby tree service and literaly create a moat arond the plant that I water gently creating a small pool  around the base of plant.  Damp moist wet leaves at night is just asking for fungus and the like.   Water during the day never never in the evening.  Don't crowd the poor guys. Plenty of air and space to walk around.  Sounds like you have early blight or leaf septoria. I had it just once and never again.  Please post some more info.

2013-03-10T03:47:36.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

fredstir Soil Stomper

fredstir

I forgot??  Are planting in pots or the soil?  AND DO YOU smoke??  (tabbaco that is)??

2013-03-10T03:50:22.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4