jollybee57 Seedling

jollybee57

seed starting kit

I purchased the 72 cell seed starting kit and apparently didn't think the whole proces through.  I am starting my seeds at different times as specified in several different forums.  My problem is that the tomatoes are already sprouted to past the height of the "greenhouse" cover.  Now what!

Views: 2338 Replies: 4 Date: 2013-02-26T14:45:03.000Z
Result Count: 4

Tools

mike_reid

mike_reid

Re: seed starting kit

Hi, I am just starting out myself but, I have read that once the seedlings start to get their first true leaves, you don't need the cover. But it sounds like you have started over seeds that haven't germinated yet.

My suggestion would be to prepare some flats for your tomtao's with potting soil, remove the tomato seedlings from the starter kit and transplant them into the prepared flats. If you are using a grow light system, just put the flats under the light alonside the starter kit or find a sunny spot next to a window.

May I ask what Zone you are in?

Mike

2013-03-04T13:40:08.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Mta214 Green Thumb

Mta214

I had a somewhat similar experience last year.  I did what was suggested by Mike above, and it worked out fine.

2013-03-07T14:11:28.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

wiredbadger

wiredbadger

I would move mine to a pot.

2013-03-18T16:06:39.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Soil Stomper

Capnahab

I agree with the others. At this point you will have to move the tomato plants to pots. This could be a good thing also. Moving the tomato plants will give them more room to grow a bigger root system before you take them out to the garden. Good Luck!

2013-03-30T12:52:24.000Z

REPORT ABUSE

Result Count: 4